Travel to Poland with lots of photo gear

michaelcreagh

<p>I am traveling to Poland in June to photograph my friend's wedding and wanted to know what forms I may need to fill out to be able to bring in $17,000 worth of photo equipment into Poland for the week.</p>

<p>I have read a lot about US Customs and filling out a 4457 form so that I do not have to pay duties upon my return to the US. I have also read a lot about theft and I will definitely contact my current insurance provider and double check I am protected in Europe. But what about on the other side of the pond? What forms would be needed in Poland? I figure it must be possible as productions do big shoots in foreign countries all the time. I recently winged in and out of Mexico by plane and had no problems....but I would prefer to be prepared.</p>

<p>I realize $17,000 seems like a lot of money, but I have a Canon 1DS Mark III, 2 $1500 lens, A Mac Laptop, a backup 5D, a Speedlight. I have considered buying the 5D Mark II just for the trip, but that seemed foolish when I don't really need it.</p>

<p>Thank you<br /> Michael</p>

<p>Provided that you do not intend to leave or sell any of the items in Poland, then there should be no issues at all. Lots of people travel with camera equipment of this value all the time. If you are the main/official photographer at the wedding, you might consider a second/backup speedlite.<br>

Just an added thought. The only place where I have had any problem is in Canada, where they seem to think that if you have anything more that a camera phone, you are likely to be taking away potential earnings from Canadian photographers.</p>

<p>Michael, I attended a workshop last year and no one had less than $10,000 in gear. Most were up around the $15,000 area, mine was less because I was the only one with a crop sensor body. Yeah, it's mind blowing when you add it up.</p>

<p>I don't know about rules in Poland but I have never had a problem elsewhere in Europe. You might want to check with their ministry. Maybe they have an online contact.</p>

<p>As for traveling with that much gear, I strongly suggest you figure out a way to keep at least the bodies/lenses and laptop in your carry-on bag(s) but check the rules carefully because each airline may be different, especially if you end up on smaller regional planes. If your expensive gear ends up in a checked bag, you really are at their mercy.</p>

<p>Upon returning, your carry-on bags can be placed on scale, and if too heavy (for the airline carrier rules?), you may be asked to check them in and not allowed on board. So make sure your bags are ready for such possibility.</p>

<p>Coming back from Mexico City, at the airport I was asked to pay export duty for the cameras possibly purchased in Mexico, or provide a proof of purchase in the USA or elsewhere. A $20 bill solved the problem, and no receipt was needed. If is not too much of trouble, I would take copies of your proof of purchase of the equipment that you will have with you.</p>

<p>You passport/customs control will take place in the first place you land in a Schengen country (or Poland if you fly in directly), then it is passport/customs free from Portugal to the eastern border of Poland.<br>

I routinely travel all over the world with photo equipment worth way more than $17K and never had any customs problems in Europe (Poland, even before its accession to EU and Schengen, included) or returning to the US. I never fill out any customs forms and was never asked about the origin of my equipment by customs. As for flying, never check your cameras, always have your stuff as carry-on, and be ready to stand your ground with gate agents and flight attendants who say that your bag is too large/heavy. It is much easier if you fly on major airlines (never, ever fly on crap-with-wings like Ryanair, easyjet, etc.) Also, if you are traveling on a transatlantic ticket, the US carry-on rules are binding to all carriers on the European leg of your trip (US allows larger/heavier carry on and checked luggage.) BTW it all gets easier if you fly business or are a "premium tier" frequent flier.<br>

One thing though: there is a lot of property crime in Poland, esp. in touristy places (Warsaw Old Town, Cracow, buses to/from airport, trains, hotels, etc.) so beware... The thieves are very crafty and work in groups. My defenses are radical: in many hotels I consider not safe, I lock my Pelican cases and attach them to the toilet in the bathroom with a very strong cable; the case is not breakable (well, it'd take a long time...) so the thieves would need to unbolt the toilet from the floor first - very unlikely :-))) I don’t mean to scary you, just keep your eyes and ears open and your equipment nearby. Have fun in Poland!</p>