HELP! Assigned profile preview not matching "soft proof preview" in photoshop cs3

<p>Hello all. To get start I am using photoshop cs3 on a windows based machine with a calibrated T220 samsung monitor. My color settings are "north american general purpose 2" working space for RGB "sRGB IEC61966-2.1". I calibrated my monitor with a pantone huey pro.<br>

I plan on making my prints using a color profile set up for EZ prints smugmug. I have their ICC set up on my soft proofing options.<br>

Under proof setup I have the simulated ICC device profile, unchecked preserve RGB numbers. For rendering intent I have chosen Perceptual with black point compensation checked. Also simulate paper is checked.<br>

Now my question is this: How come when I check off to view "proof colors" my image looks great on my monitor, but whenever I go to assign the profile as "profile EZ Prints" it makes my images look more pink in color than the "proof colors" option turned on?<br>

Should I be compensating for the image of "proof colors" or the pinker image of "Assign profile"? Or is there something wrong with this whole picture (not photo, but color management).</p>

<p>First, you don't want to Assign this useless profile to the image, you want to convert. But since they will only allow you to send them sRGB, what's the point? You can't be assured they will even use that profile, or the rendering intent or pass it though the Adobe ACE with BPC. Its a half baked workflow UNLESS they allow you to actually convert the data, then them that document in the output color space after using Convert to Profile. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>You'll have to send them a test print in sRGB space. It's the only way to be sure of the accuracy of their furnished printer profile.</p>

<p>When you get the test print back, assign their printer profile (TEMPORARILY for viewing purposes only) and see if the sRGB file looks like the print or if the sRGB file without the assigned printer profile looks more like the print.</p>

<p>Which ever one looks closest that's the space the RGB numbers need to remain in. IOW if the sRGB file numbers look more like the print when you assign the printer profile, then you'll need to convert your sRGB file to that printer profile.</p>

<p>If you have to convert to your printer profile then it's best to convert from your original RGB working space whether that's sRGB, AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB on subsequent images. You don't have to keep it in sRGB to convert to the printer profile. The sRGB space is only a testing space but still can be used as a working space if desired. </p>

<p>I don't understand your process, but here's mine.</p>

<p>Choose printer profile to soft-proof ProPhoto RGB image<br>

Turn on gamut warning<br>

Edit to eliminate gamut warnings (usually reduce saturation of darker hues)<br>

Convert to printer profile<br>

Edit to restore (usually closing up the left side in Levels, and add saturation)<br>

Use crop tool to edit size/dpi<br>

Final sharpen<br>

Save (not necessary to save with profile)</p>

<p>Works for me.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The preview is different when you ASSIGN the EZ Print profile because your image's RGB numbers are written in sRGB (a space that describes 1995 generic CRT displays), not EZ Print RGB (a space loosely written around sRGB but with color rendered by ink, if it's an inkjet, or silver halide paper, if it's a minilab). They are two completely different color spaces.</p>

<p>Don't restore (edit) the image in the printer space. It's an unstable editing environment.</p>

<p>Edit the image in the sRGB or AdobeRGB space with Proof Setup set to your printer profile with Relative Colorimetric and Black Point Compensation on. In my experience with outside minilab and inkjet printer profiles, I don't need to turn on Paper White and Ink Black. I just change the lighting I view my print under.</p>

<p>ok so my workflow should be this?</p>

<ol>

<li>Open my image (i'm using srgb because thats what i shot it in.)</li>

<li>turn on soft proofing using the printer profile.</li>

<li>make edits to image to have the soft proof match my idea of what the print should look like</li>

<li>"convert" the image profile to printer profile.</li>

<li>save image as jpg</li>

<li>post on smugmug</li>

<li>turn off auto color</li>

<li>order prints</li>

</ol>