Help choosing site name

brian_bahn

<p>I tried to avoid doing this because I know it's done a lot but I guess I came to the conclusion everyone else that did it did. I just can't decide and would like help from those that have been through it.<br>

I need to pick the name I will use for my SmugMug site from which I will be selling sports action shots and also custom posters.<br>

I am down to two choices and can't decide between them or just using my name which to me doesn't flow very well.<br>

My two choices are:<br>

Dynamic Sports Images.com<br>

or<br>

Still Motion Sports.com<br>

Of course I run the risk someone sees one of these and likes it so they go take it. LOL.<br>

Also Brian Bahn Photography. I mainly will be selling sports from the site that's why I went with a sports themed name but I also would not turn down any opportunity that arisesfrom it that is not sports(I was thinking band competitions, dance recitals, etc) and not sure if it would seem cheesy working through a site with a sports name to do other work. Thoughts on this aspect would be appreciated as well.<br>

Here is my link. Obviously I have it named Dynamic right now but I'm not entirely sold and want to be before I register with GoDaddy<br>

<a href="http://dynamicsportsimages.smugmug.com/">http://dynamicsportsimages.smugmug.com/</a><br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>"Still Motion Sports" pigeon-holes you too much. What if the business grows, and takes on a video aspect to it? "Still" is the opposite of <em>action</em> and doesn't help the brand concept, I think. Just sayin'. But mainly: register something <em>now,</em> because indeed, it could be gone before you get your credit card out to spend that $10.</p>

<p>If you select a name other than your own, be sure you stick with it, register it, get a business license under that name, and keep using it. Otherwise, go with brianbahnphoto.com, that way you can take it with you if you ever decide to expand beyond sports.</p>

<p>I would suggest dropping smugmug from the title. I am not sure if you can link a registered domain name to your smugmug account, but if you can, do it. If not, go someplace else, like Printroom or Photoshelter. In all honesty, smugmug is a hobbiest site. There may be people making a living from their smugmug site, but in my experience, smugmug would be the last place I would want to host and sell my photos. You pay for what you get, and the accounts at Printroom and Photoshelter are incredible and I have never seen customer service anywhere else like both of them.</p>

<p>At Smugmug after you register your domain name with who ever you want you have to change a few setting in your control panel but it can be done very easy. Quote from the Smugmug site "SmugMug supports one domain hookup per Professional or Power SmugMug account. We automagically configure your domain settings and, in just minutes, www.yourdomain.com will bring up your SmugMug homepage."<br>

Hope this helps</p>

<p>Yes SmugMug allows to use a domain name. That's why I said in the original post I wanted to decide before I register with GoDaddy(who SmugMug uses).<br>

I decided to go with DynamicSportsImages. I am just doing a few teams and clubs to start with, see how it goes so the hobbiest level is fine for now. I've heard a lot of good things about SmugMug so I am comfortable with it.<br>

Sometimes I spend too much time and energy over-analyzing. Need to step into the stream if I want to get wet, so I stepped in.</p>

<p><strong>go someplace else, like Printroom or Photoshelter</strong><br>

<strong></strong><br>

Just looking at Photoshelter's account types, a pro account costs $550 a year with 100 GB of storage. Smugmug is $150 a year with unlimites storage. I think for someone starting out, it is the better option.</p>