R (Super-Canomatic) / FL lens?

kevin h. y. lui.

<p>Kevin, I have (and infrequently use) an FL 55mm f/1.2 on my FD bodies with complete satisfaction. Got it attached to an FD body I wanted and just kept it. I should point out though I have never used it wide-open. </p>

<p>Don B in Hampton Roads</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The R lenses will mount on an FD body, but aperture has to be opened and closed manually. Some R lenses are the preset type anyway. Others have a pin for auto aperture, but it won't work on an FD body.<br>

Nearly all FL lenses mount normally on an FD body (check your camera manual to see if some FL lenses can't be used) and their auto aperture function works normally. However, metering has to be done stopped down (with lever if body has one, or by switching the lens temporarily to manual aperture mode).</p>

<p>I have two 35/2.5 FL lenses. I would say that they compare more favorably with later 35mm lenses than the 28/3.5 FL compares with later 28s. I have a 55/1.2 FL and I have used it more on FD bodies. It has decent out of focus rendition. Overall I don't think it's as sharp as the 50/1.4 II FL lens. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I don't know if I am alone in this but I have encountered some difficulty using my FL 135mm 3.5 on my AE-1. The aperture linkage jams on the body, but it works just fine on my EF and TLb.</p>

<p>All that said I'm not sure if it's the AE-1 or just my AE-1, I would seriously test fire with out film first when pairing an AE-1 with an FL lens.</p>

• 14 years later...

I use my R, FL and FD lenses on my R7. I love the look provided by the R and FL lenses.  The only issue is that some R and FL lenses back side bump the aperture lever on adapters. I bought 2 adapters and cut the lever off one of them because the lenses are stop down any way and just use them stopped down. That is the beauty of the R cameras like the R7.