Inexpensive camera that shoots Raw?

tina___cliff_t

<p>Everyone is telling me to get a camera that shoots Raw. I really have my heart set on a canon 5D to play with (12 mega pixel), but it is out of my price range :( </p>

<p>I photograph weddings for family and friends (on average 2-3 a year), and want to upgrade my camera. The one I currently have puts me in a bind with low light situations, not to mention leaves almost no room for cropping later. (or the quality of the image is lowered and you can barely get a 8x10).</p>

<p>I'm looking for something under $1000...if thats even possible. THANKS!</p>

<p>PS - I might take the dive and get the canon (becaue I like it so much lol), I found one that is a body only. What lens would you recommend (links would be nice too) for weddings that would cover almost all my bases.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You should discount the idea of shooting a wedding with a P&S, Raw or not. Next, have you read this:</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/learn/wedding/equipment</p>

<p>Several links and advice on equipment. If you are being paid to shoot a wedding then one thing to keep in mind is that you will need back up equipment of everything: body, lens, flash. Canon makes a few bodies under $1000. The XS, XSi, & 40D. While Nikon only makes one that I would use for weddings and that's the D90. More important than the body will be your lenses. I would start with one standard f/2.8 zoom (17-55, 24-70 etc). Add a fast prime. Ideally, you will want another f/2.8 lens as back up but you can probably get away with a kit lens to start. And, you will need a flash, preferably variable power. A Nikon Sb-600 or a Canon 430. Going Canon will certainly be cheaper but with a single camera/lens (other than kit lens)/flash, you will be pushing the $1000 mark. With Nikon, the camera alone will be $900. Of course there are some advantages to the Nikon, but cheap isn't one of them.</p>

<p>First, be very, very careful about so called 'deals' from online vendors. Most of them are scams. A new 5D II will not be under $1000 anytime soon, or even a new 5D (the original). Possibly a used 5D, but you need to be careful buying used too.</p>

<p>I would start looking at used 20D, 30D and 40D bodies. What about the lens? I always recommend a Tamron 17-50mm (not for full frame) f2.8. It is about $400 new, and less, used.</p>

<p>I have a friend who took a 40D to Alaska and on safari in Africa among other places, never lacked for durability and not having a 5D's speed didn't keep her from getting a fantastic series of close-up shots of lions downing prey.</p>

<p>There's no need for a $2000 or $2700 camera for 2-3 (I'm guessing unpaid?) weddings a year. That's what a 5D or 5D mk II cost with USA warranty. A 40D or XSi is an excellent camera, as is a Nikon D80 or D90 (the D90 is killer in low light). The guys here who are using more expensive equipment for weddings are doing one a week, making money off it and in some trouble if their camera breaks down in the middle of an event.</p>

<p>This point and shoot costs around $400 and shoots RAW. Pretty good quality shots, too:<br /><a href="http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Panasonic%20Lumix%20DMC-LX3S%20Digital%20Camera:1995955192:page=details">http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Panasonic%20Lumix%20DMC-LX3S%20Digital%20Camera:1995955192:page=details</a><br>

EDIT: Oops... sorry, I don't think this will work for weddings. :-(</p>

<p>A used 30D would be an excellent camera that has very good autofocus in dim light and very usable ISO 1600. The 20D has many inherent autofocus and flash problems and is to be avoided entirely. Canon fixed the 20D problems with the new 30D which is how Canon usually "fixes" its problem gear. You will need a 17-55mm zoom as was mentioned and this will work for 90% of the shots you will want to take and you can pass on the other 10% as you are doing this as a hobby and favor to your friends so they should understand.</p>

<p>One thing to be aware of is that gear failures are more common with cameras in the middle ground, $800 to $3000 which combine complexity with production cost control. Your $1000 DSLR is more like to have problems or its lens than the simple point and shoot camera that cost $300. That is why no responsible wedding photographer would shoot a wedding with only one camera or one lens or one flash.</p>

<p>Bruce, what is the basis of the comment against the 20D? We owned 6 over the years and they weren't any better or any worse than any of our 30D's or 40D's. All of them essentially have the same metering. Af may have improved somewhat but nothing to write home about. I would however avoid a used 20D just because it's getting rather long in the tooth.</p>

<p>Of course, everyone has suggested a Canon or Nikon so far, but Pentax offers some great options and they shoot RAW. The K2000 is wonderful for those who are learning and comes with either a lens and a flash or a two lens kit. You can even customize the settings after you become more comfortable with the DSLR. Or, since you have some SLR experience, the K20D is wonderful, and under $1000.</p>

<p>Also, old pentax lenses can be used on the DSLRs, which gives you some great, cheap lens options for expanding your kit. </p>