Another Jessica Claire Post...

missy_kay

<p>Ok so obviously Jessica Claire = the cream of the crop when it comes to portrait photography. So I will ask a question that has been asked a million times on every photographer forum in existence. How does she do it!??? I have tried e-mailing her but obviously she gets a million e-mails so will probably not respond.<br>

I know other threads where JC says it's "good clean light". I know that makes a photograph, but I know lots of photographers that use similar light and the images do not look even close to hers.<br>

Is it the equipment? What equipment do you guess she uses?<br>

Is it the curves adjustment? How do you do a curves adjustment?<br>

Is she using a reflector?<br>

I watched one of her videos on her blog and noticed she does not shoot with a flash. Should I stop shooting with my flash?</p>

<p>So many questions... Thank you</p>

<p> She uses Canon single focal length lenses, at least 24/1.4L, 35/1.4L, 50/1.2L, and longer (but I don't know what) close to wide open, and at high shutter speeds. Check her subject's eyes to see her (simple) lighting arrangements. She does understand backlighting and light in general, and has the reflexes of a street photographer.</p>

<p>Some of the actions she uses are:</p>

<p>http://kubotaworkshops.com/store/cart.php?target=category&category_id=258&partner=23036m</p>

<p>and...</p>

<p>http://www.gettotallyrad.com/</p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>

<ul>

<li>You should go to her website/blog and read it. She talks about backlight (she doesn't mention a large fill, but she must use one) She also raves about Kubota and Totally Rad actions. She even has links to them. If that is what you think it takes to make your photos look like hers, you should try it out.</li>

</ul>

<p>She's good, but her lighting and PS actions are not why she's good.</p>

<p>From a technical point of view there is nothin special going on. Available light, shallow depth of field, large aperture lenses. Have the subjects backlit and get a proper exposure of the skin. In essence you overexpose the background and since the subject is basically in shade you always get a soft and even flat lighting perfect for contrast boosting in postproduction. Add saturation to the image but not skin tones. Run some actions on it for vintage look or whatever suits the image. Oh almost forgot, selective sharpening also enhances the shallow dof effect.</p>

<p>Kay - She also has, I believe, about 10 years of experience being a professional photographer perfecting her look. I've known about her for the last 3 years and have followed her rise to fame and I will say her ability comes from skill, and as I've said before in another one of your threads, practice, practice, and some more practice. She as devoted her life to her craft and business and has done very well in both. I say that to say this: there is no magic bullet, no magic action, no magic piece of equipment (even though the 5D is on a different level) just a fierce devotion to her future as an artist, which in turn creates the wealth she needed for the life she desired. It also helps to surround yourself with some of the top wedding photographers in the world...Becker, Mike Colon, Jasmine Star, David Jay, Joe Photo, and Dane Sanders just to name a few. Just keep at it because the images you posted for us to play with ROCK!!! all on their own!</p>

<p>You guys are funny. She has an inate ability as a photographer and her photos are going to be made only by her. Stop trying to recreate one someone else has done otherwise how will you stand out? If you can't make your own images creative and recognizable then you just dont have whats called "it".</p>

<p>However, if you are going for her effects then buy Totally Rad Actions and slap yourself for wasting so much time.</p>

<p>I agree with Matthew,<br>

Stop wasting your time trying to find out how she does it. It's simple, she just does! That's how she likes her photos and she has a workflow to achieve it. Find a workflow that achieves the final images you like and keep on using and refining it. You'll be consistent and your own style will emerge. Maybe we'll all be asking how 'you' do you're photos some day.<br>

Daniel<br>

<p>No, you guys are funny. Painters have studied the old masters work for centuries and there is nothing wrong with that. It's a learning process and Jessica Claire have been doing the same to come up with what she likes. Don't kid yourself, we all stand on the shoulders of titans.</p>

<p>RE: Matthew and Daniel-<br />Ok, I'm not trying to copy off of her "style" but there is definitely something she is doing in the editing process to make her images go to the next level. If it's an editing question such as a curves adjustment, I think every photographer could benefit with that knowledge and it not affecting our style.<br>

<br />Especially in the wedding photography industry, our clients deserve to have the best images they can possibly have of their special day. And editing of images to make them extra sharp and vibrant, is what everyone can benefit from.</p>

<p>Kay, these images are not really backlit but I'll give it a shot anyway. From her blog I can see that Jessica usually uses shallow dof and includes foreground, middle ground and background objects to make a two dimensional image look more three dimensional. As these two images only have one plane they are not a typical example.</p>

<p>Anyway I added lots of saturation and contrast and also made the skin lighter with a monochrome channel mixer adjustment layer and finished with some sharpening. The results will be better with a unmanipulated full rez image straight out of the camera so keep that in mind. A half stop or so more exposure would also have been beneficial in this shot to keep a tiny bit more detail in the blacks.</p><div>00SnpU-117637684.jpg.c97d598eddcb65dfbdbc652322e5d599.jpg</div>

<p>Pete S- WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br>

Awesome! :) That is fantastic! What is your e-mail?<br>

How do you do a monochrome channel mixer adjustment layer?<br>

Did you use an action to sharpen?</p>

<p>Thank you so much! That is amazing seriously</p>

<p>I guess what I'm not liking about my photos compared to JC is the skin coloring. But Pete I really think what you did make it looks so much better. If I can learn to do that, I will be happier with my photos. Thank you all on this thread for your help.</p>

<p>To make a monochrome channel mixer adjustment layer.<br>

1. Select Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Channel Mixer...<br>

2. Enter for instance 60% red, 20% green and 20% blue and click Monochrome.<br>

You now have a nice B&W photo shot with a red filter which makes red brighter and skin tones contains a lot of red so the faces will pop out more. We don't want B&W but we are going to use this effect to brighten the skin tones.<br>

3. Change the layer blending mode to Luminosity and the reds (and skin tones) are now brighter.<br>

4. Adjust the layer opacity % to taste.<br>

If you want more than 100% of this effect you can double up by selecting Layer > Duplicate Layer... in the menu.<br>

Another option to use is to set the layer blending mode to Saturation as this will desature the faces some which also will bring down the red and orange in the skin. This can also be done by using a layer mask on a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer but then you have to paint which part of the image you want to slightly desaturate.</p>