Fuji 617 ND Center filter 77mm Needed

tony_coccaro

<p>Hi Ellis,<br>

Hope you are well. Useful to know. Who sells the heliopans? Do you find 1.5x enough?<br>

Yes, the originals are increasingly difficult to obtain Tony, no cheap solutions I'm afraid. Imo they really shouldn't be sold without a CF.<br>

Mark<br>

www.markdentonphotographic.co.uk</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Tony. I wouldn't rush into anything until you have tried the camera. Print film, which I use, has a lot of latitude. I've taken hundreds of exposures with my 617 without a center filter. While there is occasionally some drop off, you have to look for it, and it is not a problem for me. So give it a try as is, I've read that there is some variation from one camera to another on this matter, some need it worse than others. At F8 wide open, I wouldn't want to lose any light using this camera either. So give it a try, set your exposure carefully, and I bet you will get good shots. In daylight, using ISO 100, just use F16 at 125th.<br>

Have fun, that is a wonderful camera, mine has never let me down.<br>

Larry </p>

<p>Hi Tony, I'll second Mark's advice (sorry Larry!). I find that it's not so much fall off at the corners that the CF reduces but I was getting a definite "hot spot" in the centre of the image - the edges were okay! Using the CF solved this problem and I no longer suffer with a hot spot and get uniform exposure across the frame. BTW I'm using the 105mm on a Fuji GX617.</p>

<p>Personally I wouldn't use a G617 with print film or wide open, but each to their own. Or indeed any lens below 180mm on 617 without a centre filter.<br>

Yes, the CF's are expensive and increasingly tricky to find, but who wants to spend $2000 on a camera and get imperfect results?<br>

Important first time buyers should be aware of this before finding the 'bargain' camera on ebay in my opinion.<br>

regards Mark<br>

http://www.markdentonphotographic.co.uk/</p>

<p>The issue that I had was exactly as Mark described! I found a "bargain" GX617 BUT without CF - although it did have a focus screen! I thought I could get away without one but quickly found that they are essentail with the 90mm and 105mm and not just with slide film either. I then had to search for one - not easy! I eventually found one but paid premium price - savvy sellers!</p>

<p>Hey, Guys, If you are saying don't even try it without a center filter, then I would say that is an absurd suggestion. I have numerous highly successful images shot with my 617, with print film, without center filter. I don't shoot at F8, what I was saying is the lens already has limited light gathering capability, why dim it even more. I recommended F16 in sun lit scenes. There is a culture of equipment snobbery at hand here, but to be professional , rather than a me-too you really need to be willing to judge for yourself how the equipment works. Magazines and websites constantly advocate to buy this, buy that, but you need to be able to evaluate results against your needs. Making best use of equipment is all about using it, learning how to make it work with the scenes you typically shoot. In well lit scenes, with print film, with my camera, I don't have a probem. After you tried it, if there is an actual problem you can see yourself, sure buy the new gadget. If you won't experiment, you are not interested, you are looking for a formula somebody else came up with, usually something they heard from somebody else...</p>

<p>I don't think anyone is suggesting that you don't even try it without a CF? I am merely offering my experience - I tried it without and got significant central hot spots on my negatives and transparencies. After installing a CF this problem has been completely cured. As for equipment snobbery ... I agree with Mark - it seems ludicrous to buy an expensive camera and then (for me) not to ensure I get maximum benefit from it by skimping on a £200 essential accessory? It's not so much about "gadgets" as "essential" pieces of equipment. If you find no need for a CF then fine - you've saved a bit of cash ... but my images have benefitted with a CF.</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>I have seen some of the images out of this camera and also found excessive different in exposure value at the centre of the image, in order to obtained a well balanced exposure at all zones, the centre filter is a must, I also experienced the same problem last few days to find the suitable centre for this camera but without success, there are some on ebay as a set with the camera.<br>

When I bought my Hasselblad Xpan with the 45mm lens, I tried it several times, even at F16, F22, still the centre of the image was not balanced with the rest of the zones of the image.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>Adorama sells a B+W 77mm Center Filter which will work on the Fuji Gx617 90mm and 105mm lenses. This filter can also be used on other panoramic cameras using a step ring (about $10). The B+W version is expensive, over $500! I almost bought a camera without this and changed my mind and acquired a GX617 that came with the Fuji factory center filter and focusing screen. The focus screen is difficult to use, even with a focusing cloth, as the image is upside down and the light does not distribute well enough to clearly focus using it. I typically shoot images at either infinity or close to it and if I have subjects close in the foreground, I back my camera up to compensate for the hyperfocal distance. It's not perfect but the image plane being as wide as it is makes up for minor sharpness in the foreground.</p>

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...