Full Frame Sensor

<p>This may be a really stupid question but am I right in thinking a 300mm lense on a Canon 5D would give you roughly the same subject image size as a 500mm lense on a Canon 40d. I ask as I am trying to decide whether to by a 500mm lense for my 40D or stick with the 300mm I already have and upgrade to a 5D.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>LOL, I read this, and didn't even realize you did say that backward. I think you need to really sit down and ask yourself what kind of photography needs you have if you are considering a 5D. That's an expensive camera, and used mainly by wedding photographers etc. The range of regular DSLR's is so great to choose from (and cheaper!), than going with a camera that isn't for everyone.</p>

<p>Quote" I think you need to really sit down and ask yourself what kind of photography needs you have if you are considering a 5D. That's an expensive camera, and used mainly by wedding photographers etc."</p>

<p>I am certainly not a wedding photographer and I've been using my 5D for over 3 years and would not want to miss it - I shoot landscapes:-) I understand though what you are saying - if you mainly shoot with a long lens, then I would opt for a crop sensor (I also own a 40D for bird photography). So, Debbie is right, figure out what type of photography you do and then buy the appropriate body/lens combo.</p>

The Canon 5D has a full frame 36 x 24mm sensor or a focal length multiplier of 1.<BR>

The Canon 40D has a 22.2 x 14.8 mm sensor or a focal length multiplier of 1.6<P>

The 300mm lens on the 40D has an effective focal length of 480mm (300 x 1.6 = 480)<BR>

The 500mm lens on the 5D has an effective focal length of 500mm (500 x 1 = 400)<BR>

A 500mm lens on the 40D would have an effective focal length of 800mm (500 x 1.6 = 800)<P>

By "effective focal length" I mean it as compared to the angle of view of a 35mm film camera.

James G. Dainis

<p>5D's are very nice cameras without stratospheric price tag, and definitely not exclusive to wedding pros. The downside is the lesser "reach" with telephotos. The inverse is true with wide angles: you get a wider field of view with any lens, due to the larger sensor. One other downside: no built-in flash, fwiw.</p>