michael_wilson9

<p>I am looking for some help with an upcoming wedding.<br>

I am going to rent a few professional grade lenses but need some help.</p>

<p>I currently have a 40D, 580 EXII, 50MM f/1.4, 28-135MM IS Kit Lens.<br>

I am going to rent an extra body and borrow another 580 flash.</p>

<p>My questions is this.<br>

Do I rent the 17-55mm f/2.8 and the 70-200mm f/2.8<br>

or do I rent the 24-70mm f/2.8 with the 70-200?<br>

I understand the fact that I might not be able to go as wide with the 24-70.<br>

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>thanks,<br>

Mike</p>

<p>I would stick with the extra camera being a 40D or even a 30D as the last thing you need is another camera to learn. The 5D is also not a reliable camera to start with and having one as a second camera with a 24-70 could leave you instead with a 40D and a 24-70 and a lot of lost images.</p>

<p>Without a doubt rent a 17-55mm f2.8 lens as it will be what you use for 90% of your pictures. 24mm is much too wide on a 1.6 crop camera where it has the picture angle of a 38mm lens, not even considered wide angle.</p>

<p>The 70-200mm f2.8 IS is useful for the ceremony shots and for reception coverage and in both situations the f2.8 and the IS are important to getting acceptably sharp images at 200mm in dark venues.</p>

<p>The 50mm f1.4 will be very useful but if you can borrow a Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens it is a great one for catching reception dancing and provides 4x the speed of the f2.8 zoom.</p>

<p>Important to go to a hotel lobby or other location that will mimic a church and have someone walk towards you and practice using your camera's AF and flash to get comfortable with the AF setting, flash setting, minimum shutter needed, and best aperture.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Then functionalities, menus and system layout (controls) of the 5D and the 40D are very similar. I understand the batteries are also the same. Some might have difficulty learning the subtle differences others might not, others might not even use the differences. <br>

I do not know where the empirical evidence resides for such Brash Statements: <strong><em>"The 5D is also not a reliable camera to start with ".</em></strong><br>

<br>

<em><strong>***</strong></em><br>

<br>

There is logic in having two cameras, exactly the same and using both or using one as a back up only. <br>

<br>

There is also a logic in assuming that the main camera will not fail and only having a back up as a back up - and some might choose a G10 for that. <br>

<br>

There is also a logic in having a dual format kit - one of the reasons it leverages the lens’ cache.<br>

<br>

If a second 40D (or similar) is rented, the EF-S 17 to 55F2.8IS would be the best zoom to rent, as the main working zoom.<br>

<br>

It is all about informed choices: <br>

<br>

The 24 to 70 gives a wider view on a 5D than a 17 to 55 on a 40D . . . and when the 24 to 70 is on the 40D its FoV reaches to just over 110mm (Equivalent 135 format) . . . nearly another 60mm of telephoto longer than the 17 to 55 . . . which is very, very handy at F2.8. <br>

<br>

It's not about misinformation and chest-beating, there is no right or wrong answer.<br>

<br>

:)<br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thanks for the added information / clarification.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >As you will have two 40D's . . . as well as a wider Fast Prime (Sigma 30/F1.4 mentioned) being artistic for the dance floor, etc - it will be more useful than the 50mm Prime if: </p>

<p > </p>

<p >. there is a “No Flash” Rule; </p>

<p > </p>

<p >. it is a small area (Chapel) for the Ceremony); </p>

<p > </p>

<p >. and it is too dark to use the 17 to 55F/2.8 . . . you should check the rules about Flash . . .</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Also note, (if you do not already know) although the IS on the 17 to 55 is handy for your camera shake at 1/15s, it will not freeze the swaying Bride at the Altar . . . only a fast enough shutter speed, will do that. (yes, they do move quite a bit).</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p >*** </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p >If you feel you need something longer & faster than your 28 – 135, then the EF70 to 200F2.8L IS USM is my recommendation, also.</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>I like WW's answers here. From an experienced pro's perspective, there really is no 'down' side to this plan.<br>

However, I've got the feeling that the OP isn't an experienced wedding photographer (hence the thread location, and equipment availability) The down side though of having different bodies is the tendency to pick the 'best one' for the important shots. The temptation will be particularly bad in low light where you <em>know</em> (read: think) the 5D will perform better. This can be a bad and easy trap to fall into for a novice. keeping it simple w/ 2x 40Ds may help keep the OPer's mind a bit clearer, which in the end will allow more mental focus where it should be, not to mention a whole lot less lens swapping.</p>

<p>In all honesty, weddings are an adrenaline roller coaster for the photographer. Keeping it absolutely as simple as possible for the more inexperienced shooter is always a good idea.</p>