Lighting a large group in an auditorium

tom l

<p>Hi,<br>

I've been asked to take a group shot of a concert band at our local college. I've done this before with a couple speed lights for front lighting and the stage lights turned on as high as they can. However the results have been marginal. The stage lighting does not extend all the way to the front of the stage so the first row of musicians are in shadow unless I use the speed lights. Yet still there doesn't seem to be enough light and what light is there from the speed lights is very flat.</p>

<p>I'm shooting from up in the balcony to get a downward perspective so I see more faces rather than shooting at stage level and everyone in the back being obscured by the people in front of them - so being in the balcony puts me at a quite a distance away from the group - maybe 50-75 feet away. I've got the speedlights on either side of me up in the balcony - I feel like I'm trying to light the entire auditorium instead of just the stage.</p>

<p>I'm looking for suggestions to improve the lighting. Since the last time I did this I have acquired some radio triggers (Paul Bluff Cybersync). I also have an old Speedotron black box 805 set of two lights which I can also trip with these radio triggers (they are tied two the box so they can't be too far apart from each other). Lastly I have an old Metz CL45 which I could mount with the bracket on to the camera.</p>

<p>With all of these light sources I would hope I have enough light - but how do I arrange them? Do I keep some up in the balcony and place others down closer to the group? Or possibly put all except the Metz downstairs in some arrangment?</p>

<p>I'd appreciate any suggestions. (FWIW the camera is a 40d with a 24-70 L 2.8 lens)<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>You're pretty much stuck with putting lights on the balcony, on either side of you., unless there were other, side, high and forward areas (like boxes?) that you could put them. Unless you had ultra tall stands, putting lights on the floor below would cast up light on people, which doesn't look good when the camera is above. Plus the light would not reach the people in the back rows well.</p>

<p>If you can use high ISO (resulting photo isn't going to be printed large or anything), you may be able to get away with the speedlites. I'd zoom them to the 50mm setting, one on each side. A third one on camera if you have one. Or you can mix them up, but the trick is getting them even.</p>

<p>Another thing would be to use your Speedos, one on each side, but toed slightly outward, since you can't separate them that far. Would give you more power--what is the guide number? Also possibly one head on one side and the Metz 45 on the other.</p>

<p>I would not count on the stage lighting--I'd actually overcome them a bit, so you don't get orange heads on half of the people. Either that or gel the flashes to match the stage lights.</p>

<p>If you can't go with high ISO, you will need to rent big lights. And consult a DOF table to see what f stop you can get away with.</p>

<p>Thanks, Nadine and Michael for the comments. </p>

<p>Nadine, I agree with you completely about the lights on the first floor casting shadows upwards because of the stage being raised. I did a test run tonight during rehearsal and placed the speedlights on the first floor as high as they would go on my stands and back about half way in the auditorium to get them higher (no other raised side or forward areas exist). I placed the 805's up in the balcony with me, one on each side and had the metz on its bracket and on the camera. </p>

<p>The result seemed to illuminate the auditorium more than enough and more than I'd like but has problems penetrating onto the stage. And I still got some upward shadows on the background. </p>

<p>Michael, I don't think getting off the balcony is going to help much. At least with the lens I'm using - at 24mm I need to be that distance away to fit the entire group in frame. Plus moving the lights forward due to the sloped floor will actually lower the lights and raise the shadows. </p>

<p>I'm attaching a sample shot from tonight and would appreciate any additional comments.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p> </p><div>00SknW-115979684.jpg.fae46583b12dc0f2c3e449d863a68400.jpg</div>

<p>WOW, that is a challenge indeed, sich a large group with light so far.... How about puting a speed light on each side of the stage (right off the side where we don't see them) and getting them HIGH up, as high as possible and maybe diffuse them. I don't want to appear to be a jerk, but even if the light it perfect, these make for pretty boring shots. If it were me, I'd get behind and shoot the conductor from backstage, get some players looking up at him, that intense look as they read the music. Then again, I don't know what's expected of you, what sort of shots they expect from you. <br>

<br /> I would even suggest opening up a stop and lengthening the shutter speed a stop so you get more of a fill from teh stage lights. Goodluck!</p>

<p>Ouch, that setup sucks! Now I know what you mean...I prefer more natural perspective to a "bird's eye" view but in any event you need more light, including some slaves on the background (why oh why isn't it black...) and perhaps even a few RF controlled diffused lights in the rafters. OTOH these shadows are endearing but also distracting.</p>

<p>> but even if the light it perfect, these make for pretty boring shots. If it were me, I'd get behind and shoot the conductor from backstage, get some players looking up at him, that intense look as they read the music.<br /> <br /> Thanks, Sam. You are not wrong, unfortunately they are looking for a straight forward group shot. They were not interested in rearranging the group, that would have made for a better 8x10 composition. So in the end, it is was it is.<br>

Thanks Michael, I did remove the lights at the lower level which cleared up most of the shadows. I wish I had more lights (and they would have afforded more time) to hook up lights above the stage area but that was not to be either.</p>

<p> </p><div>00Slmv-116563584.jpg.3e39ed09337e2180da9fcde31938543e.jpg</div>

<p>Do they have any follow spots? If they do, they can be set really wide.<br>

Also, You should be able to get rid of the shadows with the stage lighting. Get a person who is familiar with the lighting system to help you.</p>