NEF/Nero File Associations; GRRRRRRRRRR!

<p>A friend gave me several NEF files from his D700, and they all have a Nero file association attached to them, and I cannot open them in Capture One, v4. I did the MyComputer>Tools>File Types change, but it still won't work even after designating Capture One as the program to use to open the files. How do I render these files so they can be processed by Capture One??</p>

<p>Guys, thanks for the responses, I appreciate it, but with all due respect, please read the question carefully. I know how to open files in Capture One; the question is not how to open files in Capture One, (give me SOME credit), it's how to change the FILE ASSOCIATION;</p>

<p>The Nero program changes the files association from it's normal Nikon NEF to a Nero NEF that can only be opened by Nero. HOW do I reverse this FILE ASSOCIATION back to the Nikon native NEF file associations?</p>

<p>If you are on Windows, all you have to do is to go to the Configuration Panel and open the 'folder options' item and look for the NEF extension: you can now choose the program you want to open this file extension.<br>

Another way is to uninstall Nero...</p>

<p><em>...how to change the FILE ASSOCIATION [?]</em></p>

<p>Open Windows Explorer and click on TOOLS, then FOLDER OPTIONS, then FILE TYPES. You will see a list of file extensions and the program set to open them. You can change that program to anything you wish, and the change will become the new default.</p>

<p>One of the last steps in the installation of Nero determines which file types will be opened by one of the Nero programs in default. I de-select everything, you didn't.</p>

<p>IRFAN VIEW is a free progrm available on the Internet which can view and manage programs. It can convert many different files from one to another and it may work with the Nero extention. It also works with RAW files, though you have to download a plug in when you try to use it... So you may have to download one for Nero... IT has a lot of different features so have been using it for many years.</p><div>00Slua-116655684.jpg.75939b0e0da8b805f8df9e63c951f40e.jpg</div>

• 1 year later...

<p>Phil I wish you knew what you did becuse this has happened randomly to me this week I had no issues then all of a sudden I use a nikon d3oos and I can't get any of the images open. Unistalled nero and everything... I know it's been over a year but if you remembered please share...</p>

<p>Thank you,<br>

Tammy</p>