Tripod scabbard ?

johnw63

<p>As many posters have probably brought up, I would like to come up with a quick to get at, but comfotable to carry tripod sling or scabbard of some sort. I like the look of the OpTech tripod strap, as it looks well padded. However, I figured some sort of scabbard would work better. Kind of like a large gun carrying case that is only open at one end. Does anyone make such a thing ? I would wish to have something that would securely attach to a daypack , if that doesn't work out, but without the frame of a sturdy back pack, I'm not sure how do rig that.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It's 7:00AM, and I'm headed out for a day of shooting in a damp, muddy, not-nice environment. I'll be carrying gear for miles. My nice tripod and ballhead is in a Think Tank Big Bazooka. It's the best thing I've seen if you want to actually enclose the rig. The tripod (a Manfrotto carbon 055 series) comes with its own sling of sorts - but I much prefer sliding it and the ballhead down into the Bazooka's telescoping tube. Like everything Think Tank makes, it's really well thought out, with top notch fit, finish, and materials.</p>

<p>It's really not bulky - it's just a two-part, telescoping sleeve of tough cordura nylon over some light, modest padding. Here it is, containing a 3-section Manfrotto 055-series tripod with ballhead attached. The 055 is a fairly large tripod. In the background is my capable photographic assistant.</p><div>00SlMn-116297584.jpg.825827de71586329779f605b820b83cc.jpg</div>

<p>I actually used one of those, Chuck. But what I like about the Bazooka is its ability (as opposed to a simple layer of tough cloth) to keep the ballhead and quick-release plate hardware from getting banged up. I'm a lot more comfortable heaving it into the pile of gear in the back of truck, this way. Also: the adjustable webbing and anchor points on the thing make it easy to rig it up to a pack, saddle, etc.</p>

<p>Just because they were cheap, at Amazon ( from Adorama ), I got the OpTech tripod strap ( older style without the center post hook attachment.) and the Pro Loop camera strap for under $30+ shipping. I may get the bazooka , if the tripod strap doesn't travel that well for long walks.</p>

<p>Several years ago I picked up a neat inexpensive carrying case for a tripod. I saw some of them on display in a novelty store, couldn't figure out what they were intended for until I asked - they were carrying cases for skateboards! About the length of a mid sized tripod, made from seemingly strong weaved nylon like material, with a built in carrying strap. The open end closed with a string tie. Best of all I got it for $5.00! Haven't seen any since, don't have any idea if they are or were ever used by skateboarders. I know I've never seen one in use. </p>

<p>Several years ago I picked up a neat inexpensive carrying case for a tripod. I saw some of them on display in a novelty store, couldn't figure out what they were intended for until I asked - they were carrying cases for skateboards! About the length of a mid sized tripod, made from seemingly strong weaved nylon like material, with a built in carrying strap. The open end closed with a string tie. Best of all I got it for $5.00! Haven't seen any since, don't have any idea if they are or were ever used by skateboarders. I know I've never seen one in use. </p><div>00Soe4-118035684.jpg.58abd7b2e49b516a301c64c241a12517.jpg</div>

• 2 months later...

<p>"And no, it hardly weighs anything" well we don't have the same definition of weight, according to this <a href="http://www.naturescapes.net/store/product.php?productid=275">Bazooka page</a> : 1 lb. 7 oz. (656 g.)! That's 1/3 of the weight of a GT3541LS with a Markins M20 mounted on it.<br>

By contrast, this <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/424539-REG/Op_Tech_USA_1201072_Swivel_Hook_Tripod_Strap.html">Optech Neoprene strap</a> weighs 5.6 oz (158.76 g).</p>