shutter or mirror failure on 30D

<p>I was doing a shoot yesterday when I got several shots that looked like the one posted below. My shutter speed for all the shots was 1/250 sec. I was shooting with Alien Bees lights. I would say out of about 150 shots, 13 where like this. I don't think I'm close to 100,000 shutter cycles which is what the 30D is rated at. I guess I should try slowing the shutter speed down to see if the situation improves. If this is an issue with the camera, does anyone know what Canon would charge to fix it.</p>

<p>I've got another shoot on Monday and hopefully by slowing the shutter speed this issue won't be a problem.</p>

<p>Any thoughts?</p>

<p>Thanks guys.</p><div>00SkVB-115821584.JPG.f0d773ed0deaa27a75ae301f851e61b8.JPG</div>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't think I'm close to 100,000 shutter cycles which is what the 30D is rated at.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Alex, I've had two 30D shutters fail - one went at about 5000 actuations, and the other in a body that I'd bought brand new a week before.</p>

<p>The 100,000 figure isn't a guarantee, it's simply an average - "Mean Time before Failure" to be precise - and some shutters get beyond 200,000: if one fails at 200,000 and another fails at its first actuation, you've still got a 100,000 average.</p>

<p>Since getting the first body's shutter replaced under warranty, and the second body replaced by the shop, both are going strong: but the fact is, shutters can fail at any time.</p>

<p>With studio lights, the recommendation is 1/125th and slower. Your shutter may just not be clearing the frame. Also, if trigger batteries are weak, you will see more of the shutter blades in the frame. Slow your shutter with the Alien Bees and put fresh batteries in your triggers. I doubt it is your shutter, but it is possible.</p>

<p>I'll slow down the shutter speed and see if that makes a difference. I've been using this setup and shooting at 1/250th for about a year now and this is the first time this has happened. (Yesterday was Friday the 13th, and I had other strange things going on with my computer as well so who know.)<br>

I've never seen this issue manifest itself just shooting in available light. My lights are triggered by light from the one strobe that is connected to the camera. So I don't think low batteries are an issue, unless there is a battery inside the Alien Bees that I don't know about. We'll see how the shoot on Monday goes. </p>

<p>What flash are you using on the camera and what flash metering are you using--ETTL or manual flash? If you are triggering the Alien Bees by their optical slaves, that would imply you are using the on camera flash in manual flash mode, because you can't use it in ETTL that way. The pre flash will set off the Alien Bees prematurely.</p>

<p>When you did the test using 1/4000th, was your flash on the camera on? If so, you must have had it on high speed sync or it would not have let you use such a high shutter speed unless the flash in not a Canon or ETTL flash.</p>

<p>Nadine,<br /> The camera is set to M. I'm using a sync cord to attach the camera to one of the Alien Bees units, which triggers the other two lights. For the test at 1/4000th, (and also did one at 1/8000) I was doing it with available lighting just to see if I could match the effect. Nothing.</p>

<p>Also, I've taken shots with the onboard flash and my Speedlite 430 EX and every few shots it looks as if the shutter isn't syncing with flash, so I do get a very under exposed shot. But, its not like the shots with the Alien Bees where one side of the picture is darker then the other. So, something is up with the camera syncing with the flash - with two different results.</p>

<p>Well for the shots using the on board flash and 430EX, things are not working out because the pre flash (ETTL) is firing the non PC corded flashes prematurely. So one thing--do not mix an ETTL flash--the 430EX and on board flash--with non ETTL flashes (Alien Bees) UNLESS the ETTL flash is on manual flash mode, which lets the on board flash out, because it can't be controlled in manual flash mode.</p>

<p>So test the Alien Bees again (with sync cord to camera PC), but using 1/125th and then 1/60th and going slower each time.</p>

<p>I'm betting it isn't the shutter going bad, which is why the ambient light shots show no problems.</p>

<p>Nadine,<br>

Guess I'm not communicating clearly. I'm not using any other flashes with the Alien Bees. The shots with the onboard flash and 430 are different shots, not with the Alien Bees, and getting a slightly different result. </p>

<p>Dan,<br>

How do I go about re-loading the operating system? Thanks, and hope that is the issue.</p>

<p>Alex</p>

<p>I'm grasping at straws here, Alex, but is it possible you were outshooting the Alien Bees' recycle time? Is one slower than the other?</p>

<p>On a somewhat related issue, I recently had an XTi that suddenly stopped syncing with either the onboard or external flash. The flash was definitely firing on both, but exposures were uniformly dark, not like the light/dark example you posted. I tried everything to remedy the cause, but to no avail. Finally just purchased a XSi as a replacement.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Here's a partial update. I got my camera back from Canon's Jamesburg, NJ Factory Service Center. Total cost was $201.00 for service and Labor. IT DOESN'T WORK! I don't understand how Canon could send me back my camera without testing it. It's actually worse then when I sent it. That's just unacceptable Canon. </p>

<p>It's being sent back for further service. So that's at least another week without a camera. </p>