Film came back Ripped

laichungleung

<p>Something I am not sure. I shot about 15 rolls of 120 and had been okay with the lab. But this time I got my film back torn or ripped lengthwise on the first frame. They cut the first frame out (to prevent further ripping I guess) and just taped back the 2 halves and to the strip. They didn't tell me nothing until I found out myself. I was thinking could that be me or the lab, I usually blame myself but I am not sure. Especially the proof (5x5) and the scan (2610x2610) came back perfect from what I can see. I was actually thinking because the negative was ripped the proof or the scan would be bad or non-existent, but they turned out just like the rest. so my thinking was it was ripped after everything was done. I asked the front desk person, and she called the lab, the lab said it was ripped not by them but like so and they retouched it. Could I rip the film the first frame when I loaded or rewinded the film (Kodak Portra 400NC) at all? I don't recall anything strange at all. Plus the proof and scan came out perfect I couldn't imagine they were retouched though I am no expert. I hate to blame others but then I don't like to be fooled, more like disappointed if the technician lied.<br>

I wonder if anyone who has experience can shed some light. I mean the picture itself wasn't a masterpiece or anything but still.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>From my personal limited experiance with 120 film, the ONLY time *I* have ever torn film was when trying to get the film on the developing reel. Usually when it was -old- film stock and had major curl and didnt want to go on the reel too well.</p>

<p>I've used several cameras that take 120/620 (meaning modern and ancient cameras) film and as I said, the only time I've ever ripped film was trying to get the film on the reels. Oh, and once when I was removing the tape that tapes the backing paper on the film. NEVER had film tear in camera. Sounds like to me if its always the first frame that it might be them having trouble getting the tape off the film. My two cents on that.</p>

<p>Scanned image looks great? Maybe the did a great job stitching them together in the computer - at least you have the scan - hopefully its a high res scan.</p>

<p>I agree with the answer that it has only happened when wrestling with reels. I've had my 120 film creased lengthwise by a pro lab. Talk to the manager, and just be forthright and honest and not defensive. You might get something for your trouble like some free development in the future. It can't hurt.</p>

<p>So it is probably ripped when the film is loading to be developed? It's probably them ruinning it but then they were able to do a decent job printing the proof and scanning it after it got developed? I have no experience in 120 develop and print. I know mistakes happen but I am disappointed. Thank you for the replies.</p>

<p>I've only had one roll of film destroyed when being developed by a 'lab' (that I can think of off hand) but the machine malfunctioned. But they didnt hide the fact. The explained to what happened.</p>

<p>If you screwed up, or the machine malfunctioned - fine - things happen but be honest about it. Make up for the mistake - is that too much to ask?</p>

<p>Now, as I said, the only time Ive ripped 120mm film was due to ME - such as taking off the tape, or having issues getting the film on the reel but sure they could have been telling your the truth.</p>

<p>I've never had any film ripped while in the camera. Not in 30+ years of photography.</p>

<p>Yeah things happen but dont hide it - dont let me find out later. If Im entitled to something such a free roll, or free processing - then be up front about the error. I'd be more understanding and there would be less chance of me getting upset about the situation if they were upfront about it. Unless the photos were irreplaceable that is :P</p>

<p>Then Id be mad no matter what.</p>

<p>Mr. Lai...</p>

<p>You've been had. The scan was good because the film was good when they scanned it. They ripped it afterward. Mistakes happen, but they hid it on you which is why you've been had. </p>

<p>If you think the owner or manager is a good and responsible person, let him know what his employees are doing to his customers. If you think he approved of them covering up their mistakes, find a new place to get your film developed. </p>

<p>Tom Burke</p>

<p>Lai,</p>

<p>I wrote and deleted this three times. Here's the short version: they should have told you, not charged you or charged you less, and given you some free film to make up for it. Up front. There should be none of this "I found out later" type stuff. I like to think I would have told you, if it were me. Sorry to hear about your film. J.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you everyone. I don't mind going the mail order route again. But I just have to find another one. It's all about money as well as quality. I stopped by a big box store today, I was going to ask the photo operator something, then I saw her just grabbed the negative right on the surface with her bare fingers, no gloves or anything. I don't know how much money I have to pay in order to get some professional service, must be a lot. It's always about money.</p>