Help needed identifying film

<p>Is this developed film? If it's a developed roll of film, then I agree with Jack. A white spool with blue snap-on cover was standard for 8mm and super 8 at many labs in the 70s and 80s. The spool and cover would be about 3 inches diameter as you describe, and probably 3/8 of an inch thick. 8mm had a hole in the center of the spool about 1/4 inch, super 8 had a hole closer to 1/2 inch. On the spool itself, most likely one side is solid and the other side open like the small movie reel that it is. A 3-inch spool/reel held 50 feet, which would range from about 2 1/2 minutes to 4 minutes depending on whether it's 8mm or super 8 and whether it's shot at silent speed or sound speed (though sound could actually be shot at either speed).</p>

<p>Nothing makes a guy feel really old than a question like this. I've got about 100 of these "archeological finds" sitting in a box and dating back to the 70's...yes, the 1970's :-)</p>

<p>My 30 year-old daughter recently found them in a closet, and after explaining they did NOT play back on some ancient VCR, I pulled out the old Kodak Super 8 projector to see if it would still fire up. It was a fun afternoon watching her and her sisters as little kids. I'm still not sure she believed me when I told her there was no volume control because there was no sound.</p>