On the fence about upgrading from my D40 to a D90

zack_mccrory

<p>I want to sign up with the folks who recommend the D300. You will like the durability and the flash plug is a big deal particularly if you decide on the Bees. It is built like a tank. With this camera you will not need to consider another for years to come. </p>

<p>Why don't you get the tack sharp 24 - 85 3.5 to 4.5 afs lens used. . It is not fancy but it will keep you in the flattering range out of which you seem intent to move. Be kind to your models and avoid shooting them at 17 mm. (Try an local ad looking to borrow or rent studio space. Think about galleries, warehouses, etc. You must know someone who can give you some elbow room.) By the way, this lens is tack sharp, focuses very quickly and has great geometry. </p>

<p>Why don't you try the new/used lens first and see where that gets you. Matt was quite right when he said that there is no reason for you to be shooting above 200 ISO if you have proper lighting. The ABs will give you more than enough. </p>

<p>I think you need to be a bit less of a gear head. No offense. Why not go slowly with the D40 until you have saved enough for the D300. The AB setup that you need is going to be close to $2K by the time you get all of the goodies so you have time. </p>

<p>What if you:</p>

<p>Bought an Nikon AF-n Nikkor28--85mm AFS G 3.5 for 180 bucks and worked on what you could do with that lens and the D40. </p>

<p>Get a backdrop kit for $150.00. (Your CFL's will do just fine for now.</p>

<p>Save for and get the D300. (Keep the D40 as a backup.)</p>

<p>Get an SB 600 or 800 if you can afford it. </p>

<p>Get a used 80 - 200 F2.8 nikkor.</p>

<p>Get the Alien Bees.</p>

<p>Get the 28 - 75 Tamron and keep the nikkor as a spare.</p>

<p>While you are saving the money attend every seminar you can afford to attend. Haunt the library and internet for lessons. Stare endlessly at the photos you want to emulate on photo.net and write to the photographers to see how they did it. (You will be very suprised and it may cure your gearheadedness.) Assist a local pro in exchange for lessons and maybe even access to a studio. That should give you the stuff you need. </p>

<p>My guess is that you really want to take better pictures and may be in danger of trying to buy a game. You sure seem to have come a long way in a short time. Maybe a little deliberate care will help you in the long run. It also may be that the time you spend stopping to focus your 50 mm lens is a great investment in time to think about composition, pose and lighting. <br>

You currently have better equipment that many of the most famous photographers in history ever enjoyed. It is not the D90 that will make you a better photographer. In fact I would maintain that if you bought the cheepo used lens and spent your $900.00 on 9 one-day seminars in fashion and portraiture photography, you would be far better off than if I opened my studio and let you play with D3's and studio lighting to your hearts content. Please forgive my bluntness. I say this stuff in all kindness. Those of us here who earn money with our cameras or have been serious hobbiests for decades do not attribute our success and growth in the hobby/profession to a succession of new cameras and big glass lenses. These things help us no doubt but they are maybe 10% of making a good image. The most important piece of equipement you will ever have is your brain. The money you put into that....priceless.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I appreciate all the advice everyone. I took all of it into consideration, and it helped me make (what i feel to be) a well informed, educated decision.<br /><br /><br />Have i used 100% of the potential of the D40 - No... but do i feel like i will still benefit from going ahead and upgrading to the D90 while i have the money - Yes. I think i will grow into the camera fairly quickly, and although many of the features were not mandatory, they will be fun.<br /><br /><br />A about an hour ago i went ahead and pulled the trigger on the D90. I ordered the D90 (body) only, a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, a 67mm UV filter, and an extra battery. Amazon was having a deal where i could get 2nd day shipping for free, then i paid a little extra on top of that to get overnight shipping.<br /><br /><br />Strangly enough, when i went to get my confirmation email, i had an email waiting on me from Paypal saying someone had sent me payment for my D40 (listed it on a few boards yesterday)<br /><br /><br />I definitely agree that money spent on some seminars for fashion and portrait photography, would be well spent. Its not hard for me to come up with $100 here and there, but i knew it would probably be a while before i had the chunk of money to buy the D90.</p>

<p>Hey, Zack...just got the Tamron 28-75 myself for my D80 - very nice it is too. Just want to add a couple of points...Galen mentioned the 85 f1.8...I don't have this lens myself but a successful pro I know swears by it and calls it his "live-in" lens. Lastly, I have just done some portrait/fashion courses and have to say it's the best thing I've done other than buying my camera. If the opportunity comes along for you to attend these types of courses/seminars grab 'em with both hands! Best money you'll spend. Love from Downunder..Mark</p>

<del>if I was you I spend my money on workshops instead of a D90. Nobody would be able to tell apart an 11x14 taken with either camera. And if you are going to use the movie feature look at Canon 5DMKII it is a better camera and it does video too.</del><p>

<i>Troll. Banned from Nikon Forum.</i>