lens, and thinking back, luckily he didn't drop it either because it

was unlatched.

People, I think I was the target of a two man theft operation, one

distraction, the other the theif. There was only ONE policeman in

uniform there at the hotel that I could see. Maybe others in

plainclothes, I dunno. I know these sorts of places must be the

hangout spots for this sort of thing, pickpockets and the like, so be

careful out there!!!

BTW, pics of the Vulkon will follow (Little Xena was outrageous!)

Sort of flies in the face of the theory that on the street, an M is flea market fodder that nobody would want to bother with. You might want to think about hanging both your cameras off your front instead of one at the front and the other at your side, and keeping your bag zipped (or clipped) shut. I usually carry two bodies with me, and I rarely have both out at once. But when I do they're both in front, with one having a longer strap so it dangles just under the other.

I cant say for sure that it was the Leica name that made me a target. I think not. Moreso, as I reflect on it, most of the cameras there were digital P/S types. I saw one newspaperman with a Canon with some longish lens maybe 28-70L (it was white). I cant remember if he was dangling more than one camera. I think maybe I was the mark because I was into shooting, talking with people, enjoying the ?experience? of it all - read that distracted. Gotta keep yer wits about yourself! I never, EVER, considered my lenses being at risk before. I do keep my domke clasped (I've leared to clasp it and unclasp it with one hand - must have been all those jazz chords on the gitfiddle...), and I keep the flap toward me because in my mind I envisioned a hand sneaking into my pouch. But the lens, on a camera, on my shoulder? Never gave it a moments thought till now.

This whole thing really has me upset. People... I'm a bruiser, think six two, two seventy five. Maybe the weasle thought he could sneak in under me or something, I dunno. So much for us big guys being safer than the littler folks.

Charles,

Your eqipment is insured, isn't it? If it is not than you are much braver than me. I was a victim of photo thieves a couple of years ago. But insurance made almost a non-event. Would have been different without the insurance. I am glad you got out of it unscathed.

Actually I might suspect that a Star Trek convention would be #2 behind an LHSA convention in the number of people who know what a Leica is and what it's worth ;>) And I recall reading that at one of the recent LHSA conventions there were thefts at the swap meet. Live long and prosper!

You multiple lens guys, I don't know. It's enough for me just to remember where my M6 is with 35mm attached. I'm just now thinking about carrying a 2nd lens, which I would put INSIDE my pocket. If you've got equipment hanging on your body in a crowd, any crowd, you shouldn't be totally surprised by this. Welcome to the human race. As for it being a Leica, I doubt that is the decisive issue in a thief's mind. Nikons sell on eBay too, don't they???!!!

Charles: You are lucky indeed! I wouldn't be surprised if the next

time the thief has some heavy duty scissors and CUTS your

strap while his accomplice distracts you. The situation is worse

in Europe where hordes of gypsies will surround you and try to

grab a wallet, camera or anything. This is where a tripod really

comes in handy. this has helped me on several occasions. I

would also suggest that you purchase a camera bag that can be

secured with small locks. Many museums or other buildings no

longer allow bulky bags (ie, camera bags) and you must "check

them." I have Tenba and Billingham bags with locks! Finally,

please make sure you have insurance. It will prevent a real

heartache if the next thief is successful.

Charles, you're really one lucky guy. I'd rather assume the thief was trying to pull the entire tool off your shoulder (what a dumbass to not just cut the strap wit´h a razor blade!), to turn invisible in the crowd seconds later.<p>Btw read Dante Stella's comment at the bottom of his "capsule summary" on the <a href="http://www.dantestella.com/technical/nikoleic.html#13535">Nikkor Q.C. 13.5cm/f:3.5</a>. Bear in mind, however, that the original lightsaber was the handle of a Graflex flash gun.<p>I dare not think what would have happened to a Digilux 1 with all its Borg implants.

Karl, i almost did that to someone who grabbed my swc on the brooklyn bridge 7/4/01. he thought i was taking his picture when the swc was recording a large portion of the bridge.

what the thrusting of the aluminum capped lens in his face would've caused only one can imagine...didn't do it...right decision.

I dont think he was after the camera - the place was a crowded hotel hallway in the middle of several conference rooms. I think he would have been too noticable. I could see that if he was a grab and run guy, but I think he was a pickpocket going for his chance on the lens. Hopefully I spoiled his afternoon and saved some people from having their wallets and such lifted.

Sorry to contradict you on this, Charles, but crowds are <u>the</u> place to turn invisible, and someone pushing through the crowd with a camera (to get away from you)--don't we all know that rudeness is essential for photojournalists?<p>Anyway, you kept your equipment, and that's what counts. Hopefully it won't happen again.

You're right, escpecially on a street - or open area - and I would agree with you 100 percent, except this was in a fairly narrow hallway beween conference rooms, he'd have to have gone a good deal of distance in the crowd to get out of the building without giving himself away. As it was, he chose a side door, got in plain view as he booked it out to the pool area.