Print competitions - Weddings

dustin_hatcher

<p>One of my goals this year is to do some competing with prints from some of the weddings I will cover. I have various reasons for doing this, but mostly because I want to experience what its like. I've been doing some searching here and there and haven't really found much to go on. I was fortunate to see updates from this year's WPPI print compeition from David Beckstead about what the judges were looking for in the prints, but I wanted to see if anyone knows where I could dig up some good info on how to go about putting together entries for print competition and what/where are some other competitions that I could enter my prints in besides WPPI? :)</p>

<p>Thank you all for any info you can provide!</p>

<p>Dustin</p>

<p>Big in the industry-Commercial Arts magazine has a great weddings issue and while most brides won't see it, it's a great feather in your cap. Rangefinder magazine-associated with WPPI is another.<br>

There are certainly a number of "TheKnot" competitions which are HUGE exposure to brides, and will be up for them to see when they look. MarthaStewart Weddings are another.<br>

PDN ran something in the last wedding issue (which you can backorder) about what most of the bridal magazines look for in terms of pictures (younger couple-designer clothes, etc) that will help depending on your market.<br>

IMHO, I would aim my competition prints towards the competitons that will impact your demographic. I could, for instance, enter local competitions here around DC, but the brides I seem to work with don't see those competions, sure I may think it's an opportunity to expand to a larger market, but I've no real data on who is looking at my work, and entrance fees do add up.<br>

Copyright issue, I don't really see it as an issue for me, but I don't do stock, but to lose the work for my own use, assuming they are marketing the image, is a non starter and I'd never sign that over.</p>