Experience with 2nd version 35 summicron?

peterg

Can anyone tell me about his or her experience with the second

version of the 35 Summicron? I've recently acquired(but not yet

taken delivery of)the Wetzlar lens with the rectangular aperture

lever (6 elements). From the limited material I've been able to

find, one would think that it's a poor stepchild compared to all

other versions of the 35 Summicron. I'd be interested to hear from

anyone who has actually used this lens.

All lenses labeled "Summicron" are first rate. Don't sweat whether it's a little sharper, or not quite as contrasty, or more/less likely to flare than earlier or later models. As long as it's in satisfactory condition, use it in good health.

The one I had was Canadian. Tack sharp and neutral color. Extremely small. Are you getting the lens hood with it? You don't say what you paid, but these little 35s seem to hold value better than other lenses. I had a home-made shoulder holster for my M4 and usually had the 35 cron on it.

Peter, I own one of those and like it very much. It's really small and fast, seems to be fairly resistant to flare and I have no complaints about sharpness. In fact, it is quite a bit snappier than my early '70s Nikkor 35/2.8 (rubber focus ring) and has less distortion than some 50mm lenses I've used. I thought it had some problem with uneven coverage, but that turned out to be something else. Some say the 12538 hood will work on the 35/2, but not on this particular lens - it darkens the corners slightly at f/16. Bummer.

I never met a summicron I didn't like. I have owned the 8 element first version, the 4th version and currently the latest aspheric version. I also have the E55 35 R summicron which I have heard is a similar formula to the 2nd version of the M 35. It is one of my favorite lenses and never fails to get compliments when people look at the pictures. Good luck.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful feedback and for helping me avoid buyer's remorse. Thanks also to Leica Photography Forum contributor John Abela from whom I purchased the lens and eBay and with whom it was a pleasure to do business.

The lens arrived in exactly the condition described. It is amazingly compact and I was pleased to find that my 50 summicron lens hood 12585 fit it nicely. I haven't yet had the opportunity to put it completely through the paces (last 10 shots on a current roll), but it seems to possess that familiar "snap" of my other leica lenses in terms of sharpness, at considerably less expense than a 4th version summicron or current asph.

Perhaps best of all, I like that what I see in the framelines is what I get, unlike with the 21 elmarit which I just haven't been able to master in terms of getting what appears on film to more closely match what I see in the 21-24-28 auxliary finder, while avoiding the off-center stretching of faces.

Having now tried a 28mm for my Canon SLR, a 24mm Nikkor which was once my favorite lens, and the 21mm elmarit, I think I'm going find the 35mm to be the most natural and easy-to-use wide angle for the Leica M system. I can see now why so many contributors to this forum favor it.

Peter

Just to add to the other comments, I've owned one of these since I bought it new in the early 1970's. I've gone through several different M bodies since then, but have never given up the lens. It has performed wonderfully through thousands of rolls of film. For most of that time, it was essentially welded to my camera :-). I now have several other 35s, including the latest 35mm Summilux ASPH, but still use the 2nd version Summicron frequently because of its substantially smaller size.

If any of the Summicrons can be said to have a unique signature (different from the other 'crons, that is) I'd say that award would go to the original 1st version Wetzlar 'cron which I have in a goggled version for use on my M3.

BTW, I've never seen a 2nd version 'cron that wasn't Canadian but if you have one, I guess they exist.