T/S adapter for Micro 4:3

john_robison3

<p>With the considerable space between an OM mount flange and M4:3 flange I wonder if it would be feasable to produce a mount adapter that could shift or even tilt and shift. The question comes up becuse I use my OM Zuiko 24mm f2.8 quite a bit on my E-410 and have been suprised that it works so well stopped down to 5.6 or 8. The full frame 24 should produce an image circle of about 46mm diameter and that should provide enough room for movment with the 22mm diagonal of the 4:3 standard. If a person already had a 24mm or even a 21mm lens it just seems like an oppertunity to aquire shift lens features at moderate cost. Of course, unless a mfg tooled up to make a boat load of the adapters they would likely wind up costing $200~300 each and that would put a crimp in the sales. What say, any clever photographer/machinist out there?</p>

<p>Vivek, I think the Lensbaby is an example of captive marketing with no competition. The maker of any photo gaget is however faced with the problem either selling enough to support volume production or just set the price high enough to produce income with a low volume. That could very well be the case with the T/S idea. I'm not sure the advantages of a tilt/shift capability would be attractive to enough photographers to even support a reasonable volume of sales. It's a dull and gray March here and my mind was drifting along. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have this idea.</p>

<p> Addressing the capabililties one at a time, what use is tilt? With 4/3, most everything is in focus from infinity to a few inches with any of the wide angles. You might want to tilt with something like the 50/2 for product photography and desktop scenarios but I would think that the use is limited. Another use would be to use the tilt for selective defocusing of areas rather than getting all in focus. But there is also limited use for this as well.<br>

The shift capability, however, can be used for architectural and other shots needing rectilinear depiction. On the other hand, this effect can be duplicated with loss of some resolution in PS.<br>

If Olympus makes a tilt-shift, and that's a big if, here is my dream lens: 1. make the lens capable of contrast detection AF, 2. enable the user to pick three spots on the scene that he/she wants in focus, 3. the camera calculates the distance to each of the three points, and 4. the camera uses trigonometry to figure out how much tilt is needed to keep all 3 points in focus. One of the real problems with tilt lens is that it is difficult to make sure that all the parts you want in focus are accurately in focus. Of course live view with magnification would be essential here. There's no way you could accurately focus with a little viewfinder like in the E series bodies.</p>

One of the users on another forum is mechanically handy. He previously built a shift adapter for a 17mm Tamron lens. He says that he's now looking at converting it to a tilt-shift apapter for a micro-4/3 body given the additional registration distance. So what you're asking about is probably doable. No manufacturer is going to build such a thing though. You need to find a handy friend for a custom job.

<p>David, I did build a device to use my 24mm Zuiko as a shift lens on my Pen F but that was a very simple item that mounted on a tripod and then you put the camera on it. Had about 8mm of rise. I have more fun dreaming up and building photo contraptions than actually taking pictures with them. Unfortunately my engineering and construction skills are often not up to the task of turning my daydreams into a working model. Hey wait! The sun just came out!</p>

<p>Time for a walk, think I'll grab the Pen S.....</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Vivek, I think the Lensbaby is an example of captive marketing with no competition.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You are right, John. "Captive crap". Sounds like the banking systems in major economies. </p>

<p>Signs of the times! LOL.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Given that M4/3 is not slated to be a serious professional system, you are probably never going to see this... it is certainly POSSIBLE to build, but as others have said, there is not going to be much interest. However, if you want to go the DIY route you may be able to do at least Shift for under $300. Here is how:</p>

<p>Buy this adapter:<br>

http://kievcamera.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=178</p>

<p>Replace the mounts with OM and M-4/3 mounts off of other adapters... you may need to add some kind of plate to mount these smaller format mounts to the adapter.</p>

<p>Add a 7mm OM extension tube to get the OM lens closer to infinity focus. Viola. If you want Tilt, try doing the same mount switch with this adapter, no extension tube needed, and no infinity focus...</p>

<p>http://kievcamera.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=174</p>

<p>If you request it, they might even build you what you want for under $300.</p>

<p>Patrick, thanks for the links, they are new to me. Wasen't there a company called Zork a few years ago that made tilt/shift adapters for medium format lenses on 35mm bodies? I've also seen a Nikon mounted to a board on the back of a 4X5. The photographer used tilt to get a group of birds all in focus on a beach.</p>

<p>W. Xato, I see your point about DOF with such a small format. I was thinking about when even longer lenses than standard are used or perhaps to keep enough DOF in photographing scale models, desk top photography as you mentioned.</p>

<p>Sometimes its fun to build things just because you can, then after you have a prototype in hand you go looking for things to photograph with it. Thanks to all who responded and broadened the discussion.</p>

<p>John - interesting thought. I have no 4/3 gear so far but I do have a heap of OM lenses, and if a T/S adapter came out which could fit them onto 4/3 then I might just consider it worthwhile getting into 4/3 after all...</p>

<p>Vivek, thanks for the link. Kinda of a slapdash setup, I might be able to cobble up something like that. The mini bag bellows is a clever idea.<br>

Neil, I think only the micro 4:3 mount would have the necessary space to work out a adapter. I have a regular 4:3 camera and the OM adapter is only about 7~8 mm thick, not much room for movements.<br>

Jeff, I have had the Loreo website bookmarked for a long time, haven't ordered anything but the shift is sure cheap enough.</p>

<p>I have used the Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS lens on the G1 with the FD to M4/3 adaptor from jinfinance and it works well. I think you are being hard on the G1 Patrick when you say it is not professional quality - certainly afor build, AF, FPS and high ISo it does not make the grade but the image quality is very good. With Old Canon FD glass I am getting results at ISO 100 and 200 that are very difficult to seperate in quality from the output of the 5DII at up to 11x17 print sizes. In the Pop photo tests the G1 had lower noise, higher resolution and better colour accuracy than the Nikon D3. I am not for one moment suggesting that it is a better camera - merely that it is capable of very good results. My problem with using T/S lenses on the G1 is actually with the viewfinder. The EVF (or display) makes it difficult to see the T/S impact really well. I find that it is much easier to see the effect in a Canon 35mm viewfinder than on the screen or EVF. That said the results can be very good and of course you now have a 70mm F2.8 T/S lens. I would not go out and buy one for this body but since I had one I was actually pleasently impressed with the results.</p>

• 1 year later...