CPS membership... what is going on?

paulie_smith

<p>Bob, I don't know anyone that has $1000 repairs in a year, I think once I had $800, but that was a year where I was working on a film in Death Valley in the summer and all my equipment was full of sand.<br>

I tend to think that if you regularly need $1000 repairs in a year, then maybe something is lacking in the equipment. I mean this is supposed to be professional equipment!<br>

What I object to is the notion that we have to pay for the privilege of having our equipment serviced. A 2 week turn around for a professional photographer is a long time. <br>

And to judge a photographer based on what equipment one owns is silly. Photographers are judged on their professionalism by their images, that is what is important.<br>

I have always received great service from CPS and I'm sure it will continue, whether I pay $500 or not and I don't need a pin to tell me I'm a professional.</p>

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>When I was an ameteur I needed expensive equipment to trick people into thinking I was a pro. Now that I really make money on photography I have learned less is sometimes more. I shot a cover (actually back cover) of magazine and had to use my backup Camera the original Canon Digital Rebel 6MP with the 18-55 kit lens. However, by setting aperture at F8, 1/250 top sync speed, using a tripod and light meter to get my non-pro Alien Bee 800's dialed in I took a shot that was one of the best of the shoot. <br>

All this is to say although I like pro equipment, it is absolutely not required to be a professional photographer. Matter of fact When I am in challenging situations with inferior equipment, it makes me think more and use my mind to be creative rather than relying on the just the equipment.<br>

CPS looks cool and its not that expensive. However, as I stated earlier I have enough old backup equipment that if caught in a pinc I can bail myself out. <br>

PS - I just sold the Drebel on E-bay for $300 bucks Yea! I purchased a new 5d Mark II to compliment my Canon 85 1.2 L. My new backup camera is a Canon Elan 7NE which I will never sell. I also use Tamron 28-75 and Sigma 70-200 which altough they are not on the list have made me plenty of money.....</p>

• 5 months later...

<p>Interesting how a "professional service" club is even required to get service that should be considered a part of customer care. Why should one be required to pay extra for services that should come as a benefit for paying good money for the product in the first place, especially when the entry requirements seem somewhat arbitrary? </p>

<p>Silly to think that with my 1D, 1Ds, and two L lenses I still wouldn't be eligible for "the club" </p>

• 4 months later...

<p>It's sad that as a newer professional with only a few years working I qualify for higher levels (or at all) in the revised CPS than many veteran shooters I know and have worked with, simply because my gear is newer. These are people who have been shooting with Canon for over a decade and have introduced many people to Canon's gear, including me, yet because they haven't upgraded quickly enough to suit Canon's accountants they are marginalised.</p>

<p>Not good Canon...not good at all...</p>

<p>I think a much better solution would be:</p>

<p>Level One: At least one xD body, one xxD body and two *qualified* lenses^<br>

Level Two: At least one xD body, one xxD body and three *qualified* lenses^ or L1 plus proof of professional status<br>

Level Three: At least two xD bodies and three *qualified* lenses^ *plus* proof of professional status<br>

Level Four: L3 held for ten years or more - will always be placed in the top tier of the CPS as long as the CPS system exists and at no additional cost to the photographer, *head of the line* privileges for repairs/etc</p>

<p>^qualified lenses include *any* L lens (current or discontinued) plus the outliers such as the Macros/etc that normally qualify one for the CPS</p>

<p>However, the caveat would be that any body or lens not in the current lineup would be subject to regular repair/etc times/costs outside of the CPS. The expedited times and discounts would only apply to the current range.</p>

<p>That would allow existing CPS members to gain some benefits (event loans/etc) while still rewarding those who keep Canon's R&D department's going. Under that system, almost every professional photographer I know would qualify for at least Level Two. The highest a gearhead non-pro could ever get would be Level Two and the real veterans that keep Canon going over the long haul would likely be in the Level Three or Four range.</p>

<p>But given how hard it is to even *find* CPS Canada, it may be moot in the end anyways...at least for me...</p>

<p>And it's really frustrating having to go back and change correctly spelt words to the American spelling in a system that otherwise allows such horrible mispelling... Either correct *all* the spelling to a given standard or leave it all alone... /rant</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>my old CPS card says "valid until 2012".<br>

i am not a lawyer, but is it legal for a company to issue a document first and then arbitralily cease its validity period?<br>

i could imagine that according to your rights as a consumer the old CPS card should be at least valid till the end of the original period.<br>

may be someone with more knowledge could comment on this?</p>

• 7 months later...

<blockquote>

<p>"We are also introducing equipment ownership requirements for each level to help keep this program strictly for the pros. Our intent is to strengthen our <strong>dentist population</strong> over true working professional photographers which are the people the program was created to support."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Fixed.<br>

CPS dumped the support for my 40D as well, and it still brings home selling shots.</p>