Nikon 24mm f/2.8 AF vs. 28mm f/2.8 AF

tbs

<p>The 28mm f/2.8 AF is a very simple lens, on film it was probably the worst autofocus prime made by Nikon. Lots of distortion, not quite sharp until f/8. The 28mm f/2.8D has an additional element and it's somewhat better, with less distortion and sharpness is okay but not among the best wide angle primes. The 24mm f/2.8 AF as well as the AF-D versions are, AFAIK, optically the same. Both the 28mm and the 24mm exhibit quite a bit of chromatic aberration on digital cameras, especially on the edges of the frame.</p>

<p>I have just used the 28 2.8 AFD together with the 50 1.8 on a two month shoot in Africa, using a D700. I think that there is nothing wrong with the 28 lens, and in fact I am truly impressed by the quality of many of these images. Can't say I noticed any lack of decent contrast or bad CA, just some softness in the corners, which is the least important part of an image for me.<br>

I have just sold some prints taken with this lens at sizes around 20 x30 cm (okay, not huge I admit) but they look great and the client was very pleased.<br>

I have never used the 24, so can't comment.<br>

BTW, the 50 1.8 is excellent, but we all know that don't we.<br>

David</p>

<p>The 85/1.4 is a better lens than either the 28/2.8 or 24/2.8. Since the FOV doesn't matter to you, why not go for the brass ring? Someone else mentioned the 50/1.8. For most of us, however, uses for the 28 and 24 don't overlap - a matter of wide vs. very-wide.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>Film is a flat surface (actually not quite as there are film flatness issues, but that is another topic); digital sensors have photosites that are like a bunch of tiny wells that have walls among photosites. Some of the newer sensors have a layer of microlenses to bend the direction of the light a bit. I have tried the 24mm/f2.8 AF-D on the 24MP D3X; corner performance is terrible. It is more acceptable on the less-demanding D3 and D700.</p>