Nightclub Photography For A fancy Dress Party

james arnia photography

<p>Hi There,<br>

I have just been requested to take photographs at a fancy dress party on 7th March 2009.<br>

I have done something simular before (this is how i got this referral) but that was a child's christening party. Do you kind folks have any tips with regards to technique and use of equipment? For the regcord mine is as follows:<br>

Nikon D700, SB800, Nikkors: 17-35mm 2.5, 85mm 1.4 & 50mm 1.4G.<br>

I also have a background with black and also white fabrics.<br>

Last time I set it up with a black background and mainly used my 17-35mm - but i was wondering if there is something really creative that i could do?<br>

i have no opportunity to visit the club before the date though it is to be held in the lounge room so lighting may be more ambient.<br>

Thanking you in anticipation.</p>

<p>Michael</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well, you're certainly well equipped for handling this as an ambient-light shoot. Are they expecting casual shots around the room, or strictly the posed stuff?<br /><br />Also: do you have light modifier of any kind, for softening up that SB-800 when it's used off-camera?</p>

<p>Hi There,<br>

Matt: I intend to do mainly posed stuff as I'll be charging for immediate prints 9Canon Pictbridge). Though I will be doing candid shots if i can. I do have a light modifier - if that's what Gary Fong Whale Tail is...<br>

With regards to the background do I need it...if so should I use the black or white background?<br>

Juergen - Would it be right to assume that I should just use the wide-angle and the 50mm only?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Backdrop? Well, I'd certainly bring it along. You never know when you're going to get stuck in a corner with nothing but a cinderblock wall or a piece of sprinkler pipe plumbing or a fire extinguisher showing. If you've only got black or white, I suppose it will all depend on whether you're going to allow the ambient light to provide a significant part of the exposure (oh, and don't forget to bring along your SB-800's color temp matching gels, just in case you're having to mate up with incandescent or fluorescent ambient light). <br /><br />The risk with the black backdrop is that - absent a hair light or other source of rim light - people's dark hair or clothing might be hard to define against the background. The risk with the white backdrop - which you're not going to have brightly lit a la a high-key studio shot - is that the tone of the backdrop can end up <em>exactly</em> matching the skin or hair of many people... again, swallowing them up a bit. Is there any chance of securing a second strobe, even a modest SB-600? Your D700 can remotely control them both, and you'll hugely increase your options for shaping the light on your subjects.</p>

<p>Hi Matt,<br>

Thanks for the advice. I can't afford another flash at the moment...but here's my idea.<br>

Put my SB800 on a lightstand with the Whale Tail diffuser (and gels if required). As its a single light source where would be a good place for positioning? Behind me? Off-centre? What strength do you recommend the flash be at?</p>

<p>Do I still crank up the ISO or leave it at the recommneded 800 as per the diffusers instructions?</p>

<p>By the way does the fact that the party crowd will be mainly Afro-Caribbean (African-American) affect the lighting set up? i.e. darker skin requires another adjustment?</p>

<p>I don't ask much do I?</p>

<p>Michael</p>

<p> </p>

<p>hi michael,exposing for dark skin might require some negative EV adjustment, depending on the level of background contrast. in general, black or brown skin against a black background can be tricky. looks like you're all set for gear. for candid shots, it's fun to experiment with slow shutter speeds, rear-sync flash and panning, to capture a sense of motion. here's a pic from last weekend:</p><div>00Sf5x-113425584.jpg.338da8ba99e451b94b54b64ae8ce52cf.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Eric & Ed,<br>

Thank you for your suggestions and photos. I must admit it has been an education with all you and the other folks suggestions.</p>

<p>I've previously only been using Aperture Mode but i see that your recommendations (as well as ones I have received from DPReveiw) all recommend manual mode so I'll be practicing tonight (by the way I'm based in the lovely city of Nottingham in the UK).</p>

<p>This is my plan:</p>

<p>Set up near the entrance so when they arrive i can take formalish shots and hopefully catch everyone - using the 17-35 with the flash and slower speeds etc...</p>

<p>Then I'll pack on the 50mm and collect candid shots without the flash with a Auto ISO set to Hi.</p>

<p>Then I'll put on the flash and get proper portraits.</p>

<p>Then I'll make the rest up as i go along.....</p>

<p>But once again thank you all for your suggestions...</p>

<p>Michael</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Michael,</p>

<p>Good Luck mate . . . I am in the near the Eastern shore of the US of A. The location I gave you the link to is in Ocean City MD on the other side of the Atlantic . . . I was up late last night, and you sir are about to go HAVE A GOOD TIME !!!! Let us know how it worked out . . .</p>