Nikon 12-24mm, wich filter on it?

pierre_levasseur

<p>I use a thin Hoya "HD" polarizer on my ultrawide lens and it works well, at least for some subjects. Polarizers can give uneven results on ultrawides if not used with care. The B+W mrc series are also good. I rarely use something like an NC filter on any of my lenses, but when I'm shooting in an extreme situation (such as base of waterfall, or in a very dusty place) I will sometimes use a Hoya SMC multicoated filter. Very rare there's something like that on my lens though. I am careful to use a lenscap whenever not taking a shot, for maximum protection for my lens.<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>I use Nikon filters on my Nikon lenses, but I am sure the high-end Hoyas and B+Ws are fine also.</p>

<p>As Kent points out, polarizers will likely lead to uneven polarization and an overly dark sky if you use them on super wide lenses, especially in a lot of landscape situations. 77mm polarizers are expensive; I would suggest make sure that is what you indeed want first.</p>

<p>If you are shooting at 18mm equivalent, you are covering about a 100 degree angle of view. Polarizers have maximum effect 90 degrees from the sun/light source. (index finger at sun, thumb points to max effect is easy rule) covering such a large angle increases chances of uneven polarization. If cranked down from the 18mm, should give better results and will help eliminate vignetting from the filter ring or filter holder. Nice thing about the 77 mm filter is it fits other lenses, 70-200 (smaller angle of view, less uneven polarization problem), or 17-35 should you move to full frame. It also functions as about a 1 stop neutral density as well. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I use Nikon filters on my Nikon lenses</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I was a little surprised to find that Nikon polarizers are 50% more expensive than B+W. Not that I think Nikon filters are poor quality - I own Nikon polarizers myself - but somehow I thought B+W would be more expensive. I don't know why.</p>

<p>I have the 12-24mm and use a thin-mount B+W. You don't need a thin-mount filter to prevent vignetting, though, and there are downsides to having a thin-mount filter. You can't put a lens cap on one, for one thing. The cap that comes with the filter will fall off. It does not clip in because there's nothing to clip into.<br>

I also find my B+W filter very difficult to clean for some reason. I got suntan lotion on it once, and I've never gotten it completely clean since.<br>

It's nice to have the thin-mount on the rare occasion I want to stack it with an ND filter; however, you will have slight vignetting at the widest setting -- and you won't see it unless you have 100% viewfinder accuracy (which my D200 does not).<br>

The filter size is also the right one for the 300mm f/4 AF-S lens, which I also use it on.</p>