wide angle depth of field

ted_raper1

<p>Hello everyone - new poster here. By way of an introduction, I've been a photgrapher since the days when a Pentax K1000 with Kodachrome 25/64 was the hot setup. I don't do "event" photography; I shoot photos for galleries and have done a lot of exhibits over the years. I use Nikon equipment (2 film bodies, 2 digital bodies).<br>

While I'm not a beginner, I do have a "beginner" question. I have always used prime lenses but recently purchased my first zoom - Nikon 12-24. I know about the depth of field on a fixed focal length 12mm lens, so here's the question: does a 12-24 mm zoom lens have the same depth of field at 12mm as the fixed focal length lens? And does that apply to zooms in general?<br>

Thanks for any advice.</p>

<p>Yes and yes. 12mm is 12mm.</p>

<p>However, the 12-24 is a DX lens, so I assume you're using it on a crop-sensor camera. So to get the same angle of view as you're used to on film, you'd need a different camera-to-subject distance for the same focal length, which <em>does</em> affect depth of field.</p>

<p>Clear as mud?</p>

<p>Thanks, Mark. I do use it on a crop sensor, yes (D200). You did answer my basic question about 12mm being 12mm whether zoom or fixed focal length. Hard to believe I've been a photographer since 1970 and this is my first zoom lens!</p>