Bridal Party shoot in Sorrento, Victoria, Australia. Good spots?

scottyt

<p>G'day, I'm shooting a wedding in a couple of weeks down in Sorrento (Victoria, Australia). It was a last minute booking as the wedding was brought forward due to a sick family member.<br>

I prefer to scout locations prior to a job if I haven't shot in an area before, but I simply can't this time. I'll hit the web and see what I can find.<br>

I'm just wondering if any Victorian based photogs know some good spots in Sorrento? The wedding is near a pier and the bride has mentioned a national park nearby.<br>

Any suggestions would be appreciated... the more detail the better (address etc.).<br>

Thanks.<br>

Scott.</p>

<p>Hi Scott,<br>

I am just a beginner, but shot a wedding for a friend in Sorrento. Are you from Victoria? Have you been to Sorrento before? If not - it is a stunning place to shoot with no end of choices of locations.<br>

My husband thinks there are several piers at Sorrento, but I have only a memory of one, and I am pretty sure it is the main pier that the wedding would be near. On Google street view the pier is listed as being near 3296 Point Nepean Road Sorrento.<br>

For our location shoot we started at The Sorrento Hotel where the couple were staying and guests were having drinks between ceremony and reception. It has lovely stone walls. We took photos of the B&G bridal party walking out the back entrance of the hotel (which is on Hotham Road), and down the hill through the parkland, down a pedestrian ramp that takes you to the ferry terminal (Sorrento to Queenscliffe ferry which is great to get in the background of shots as it sails past if you are there at the right time) and the beach. Where that ramp ends and you are about to cross the road to the ferry terminal (see screen shot below from Google street view) there is a lovely stone wall which is a nice backdrop for a couple of romantic portraits, then I shot them crossing the road and walking down the beach towards the pier. The beach runs along two roads The Esplanade, and then Point Nepean Rd.</p>

<p>There are lovely park views and beach views for shooting as they walk along this route. We then took both couple shots and group shots on and around the pier, and then all went for a coffee to 'The Baths', which is a cafe/restaurant opposite the pier where I had booked out the veranda for us, and took shots there of everyone relaxing and catching up over a drink. </p>

<p>Here is a link to some of the shots (they've been posted before): <br>

http://picasaweb.google.com/karinachris/QCJpegsFromAlbumForWeb?authkey=Gv1sRgCOfUx5L_4ciVDA#<br>

These are only the ones that made the album, but you can see the basic locations starting with the hotel (about half way through the album after the ceremony and drinks), the park, the ramp, the stone wall, the beach and park, the pier and then The Baths. </p>

<p>You can't really go wrong for locations in that area though - there are so many beautiful parts of Sorrento. We shot on the front beach, but if the wedding is at the back Ocean beach that is beautiful too (I would say though that seeing as it is near a pier, that it is where we shot on the front beach).<br>

For your virtual tour in Google street view, if you type in 21 Esplenade Sorrento Victoria, and then keep going towards the ferry terminal a few metres, you will see on your left the stone wall opposite to the ferry terminal - which is where we came out from the ramp that leads from the hotel (you guys probably won't need to come down the ramp as there is plenty of parkland near the beach to suffice you, but I show you the stone wall as it is a nice background, and also the beginning of the beach so a good place to start a walk). From there you can use the virtual tour to cross the road and walk the length of the beach to the pier (keeping in mind Google street view is taken from the road so you don't get to see how beautiful the beach and pier are). I have attached a screen shot of that spot so you know where I mean.</p>

<p>I hope this helps and I haven't confused you. Let me know if you have any questions.<br>

Best of luck, Karina : )</p>

<p> </p><div>00SfwS-113669784.jpg.52adfb90cae6fcb09ba5c60900ce939e.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Karina, thanks for taking time to respond. I'll be sure to check out Google maps - street view. The addresses are helpful too, thanks for that.<br>

I am from Victoria, about 30 minutes West of Melbourne. I have been to Sorrento before, but that was a few years ago and I was without camera. My memory of the place is not strong, but I do remember that it was a beautiful area.<br>

The pier that you refer to sounds like the right one from what I've been told. From what you have said I should be spoilt for choice for good photo spots, which is good to know... one less thing to worry about. I'll head down an hour a bit early on the day for a look around.<br>

I'll let you know how I go.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Scott.</p>

• 5 months later...

<p>Hey Scott,<br>

I guess the wedding is over now, hopefully you can post some pictures for us all to see. I run a <a href="http://www.steverandon.com">New orleans Wedding photography</a> business and I love to look at wedding pictures. I have been involved in wedding photography for over 20 years. Hope everything is going well for you and your new bride.</p>