50 years F Mount

bms

<p>Ellis, I know that - that is my point. But the only thing new I have seen recently were the 50/1.4 AFS, 60 Micro and the only truly novel one was the 35mm f/1.8 DX..... and we have seen a lot of DX zooms. I shied away from buying the 70-200VR for FX because of the reported softness at the corners... that would be nice surperise....</p>

<p>I'm still bitter as all get out that they obsoleted all my old Nikon RF mount lenses when they introduced the F Mount!</p>

<p>Jes' Jokin' (making fun of all those old, embittered Canon FD users)-</p>

<p>Happy Anniversary.<br>

I'm still using my wonderful old F-mount lenses like my 55mm f/1.2, my 105mm f/2.5, Reflex-Nikkor 500mm, and most of all, my PC-Nikkor 35mm f/2.8. They are wonderful lenses even in an autofocus world.</p>

<p>This is one thing I really appreciate about Nikon, is the ability to use lenses that are nearly 40 years old on brand new Nikon digital SLRs, and have glorious results! Thanks Nikon for designing the best lens mount ever.</p>

<p>Well, the venerable Leica M mount is approaching 55 years.<br>

The young upstart Pentax K mount is 34 years old.<br>

I love my Nikon F mount lenses.<br>

As JDM points out, once Canon obsoleted my beloved FL/FD mount, it was time to leave them.<br>

The dedication of these companies (not Canon) to prevention of obsolesence is to be commended. The Nikkor "G" lenses though, in lacking aperture control rings, deviate from this philosophy. Since I can't use them, I don't own any of them.</p>

<p>The Praktica M42 mount must be at least 10 years older than the Nikon F mount. I have adapters for using M42 lenses on Konica, Minolta, Canon, K, Fuji X and Mamiya NC1000/S, all with correct infinity focus. Unfortunately this is not possible with the Nikon F mount but by now I have many Nikkors and Nikon mount lenses. My oldest Nikkors are the 2.8cm/3.5, 13.5cm/3.5 and 20cm/4. My newest ones are the ix Nikkors for the Pronea S and 6i models. Nikon has certainly gone a long way with this basic mechanical connection since 1959.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This is one thing I really appreciate about Nikon, is the ability to use lenses that are nearly 40 years old on brand new Nikon digital SLRs, and have glorious results!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I wasn't going to point it out, but all those Nikon lenses in the F-mount that I am using are nearly 40-year old non-AI lenses but I am actually using them on <strong>Canon EOS</strong> cameras -- and able to meter through the lens as well. ;) I do use them on my Nikon F and Nikkormat cameras too.<br>

The F-mount is very nice, and no one can really deny that, but I think that the EOS mount is pretty good too.</p>

<p>The F-mount makes owning Nikon cameras thrilling- you never know what old goody might be around the corner... Just over the last two years, I have found and use practically mint samples of the 20mm f4, 28-50mm f3,5 and -just this week- the 15mm f5,6 lenses, all splendid optics in this digital age, particularly the first two. Now I have set my sights on the early 300 mm 4,5 ED lens, another rare bird of repute.<br>

Keep digging...!<br>

Karl Johan</p>