Dropped 70-200 f2.8 L series - how to remove filter?

ken_millstone

Well, *I* didn't drop it. My camera bag was securely tucked away on a high shelf but my cat managed to pull it

off. It fell from about 7 feet. The camera body, my everyday lens and other accessories were fine. But my

$1,000 plus L series baby is... well... I don't know.

The filter is shattered. I have no idea whether the front element underneath is cracked or not, because I *can't

get the filter off*. Obviously either the filter or the filter ring on the lens was distorted enough to not be

able to unscrew it. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is there a way to get it off without any further damage

to the lens so I can assess the situation? I checked the rear element of the lens and it was fine...

THANKS!

<p>There are things called "filter wrenches" that might work (<a href="http://www.adorama.com/FLFWB.html">link</a> ). The ones linked to should work on your 77mm diameter filter. A simpler technique is to use one of the rubber sheets given away by banks and the like as can opener helpers. Put the rubber sheet in your palm and press down and twist off the filter. Sometimes really wide rubber bands will do the job of providing enough traction to loosen the ring.</p>

<p>Good luck, hope the lens underneath is still intact, although you may need to have the filter ring bent back into shape before you can use it again.</p>

<p>Same thing happend to my friend with his 70-200mm f/2.8 IS (but it was the daughter, not the cat that droped it).<br>

We ended up using one of those rubber can oppeners, kind of like a rubber loop that you tighten around the can with a plastic handle.<br>

Worked like a charm.</p>

<p>i had a similar thing happen. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to very carefully grip the rim of the filter (after removing broken glass first if possible) and force turn. if really bent, the threads will be too damaged and you'll have to pry the lens ring from the threads by gripping and bending the metal in such a way as the ring comes loose without hurting the glass of the prime lens. Good luck.</p>

<p>I don't know if this will work with distorted parts, but, I frequently get my polarizer stuck onto my step-up ring and I am always able to remove it by putting on a pair of surgical gloves (latex) and twisting the filter off in the normal fashion. The latex really grips the rings.</p>

<p>Cheers! Jay</p>

<p>If it can be turned at all, the trick is to apply even pressure over the entire ring of the filter frame. If you apply pressure in only two paces like between your fingers or with a wrench it won't budge.</p>

<p>Place the lens face down on a wooden (not plastic) meat cutting board. PRess down firmly and turn. Make sure you're going the right way, backwards.</p>

<p>If that fails you'll have to remove any loose glass and use the needle nose pliers to bend the filter frame inward relieving pressure on the lens threads. Doing this in 3 places on the frame should do it. You'll get a mangled peice of filter frame but at least it will be off. </p>

<p>I believe that front element peice might be a user replacable part. You should contact Canon directly and check on that if it's damages as well. Could save you from having to send it in.</p>

<p>I had the same thing happen to my 70-200 2.8. Take it to a camera shop unless you feel real good about cutting the ring off yourself. They did it for free. Unfortunatly my front element got a small chip on it (They can be replaced, but it costs about $380.) I ended up blacking out the chip (to keep it from flaring) since it was far enough to the outside that it does not show up, even on my full frame body. It makes me sad since my baby isnt perfect anymore, but it works just fine.</p>

<p>small Front element scratches/chips are not TOO big a deal on telephotos. Its the rear element that is the problem.</p>

<p>Find another cylindrical object 77 mm in diameter or slightly smaller. Tape this object to the front element with duct tape. Be sure that the duct tape only covers the filter edge and not the front element, and be sure to get the tape super super tight. Have one person hold the lens and another the cylinder and twist hard.<br>

Or, if that fails. Cut two slots in the filter rim on a diagonal with a hacksaw. Put a thin strip of metal in a vise so it protrudes just a bit and put the lens face down so that the metal strip is in the slot. Twist hard.</p>

• 1 month later...