Hasselblad 100mm Rear Element Nick

steve_barrett

<p>I've noticed on the auction site recently 3 or 4 Hasselblad 100m CF lenses described as having a small nick on

the rear glass. In fact, I own a 100mm CF myself like this. My theory is that when someone used

the wrong tool to recock the shutter, it slipped off and damaged the glass

.<br>

Is there something about the design of the 100 CF that makes it more <em>susceptible to this sort of damage?</em></p>��������

<p>I deal with a lot of Hasselblad gear and The 100mm lenses are less common than the other focal lengths so I've not dealt with a ton of those specific lenses but there is nothing different about the design of the 100mm in the rear that I've ever noted. They're made like the other focal lengths.</p>

<p>If one is wise when doing anything near the rear element of any lens they will focus the element up into the barrel as far as it will go in case they do slip with a tool in order to minimize potential damage.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There is, and there isn't.</p>

<p>There is nothing that would make the 100 mm need recocking off-camera more often than any other lens. And consequently, it doesn't.<br>

And that (slipping when recocking) is not a probable cause.</p>

<p>The rear lens element however is big, and quite close to the end of the lens. So if put down without a lens cap, or just handled uncarefully, it is an easy target.</p>

<p>My 100 mm never needed recocking, nor have i ever put it down carelessly. So mine's stil pristine. ;-)</p>

<p>While I really do not understand why I have also observed that a lot of 100 mm lenses show slight damage to the rear element. Both my C- and CF- versions have small imperfections (no, I did not do that).</p>

<p>Ulrik</p>

<p>Mine has a huge gouge out of the back - of course, that is what I was able to buy it for less than $300. I would never be able to sell it, but, why would I want to? A little black felt tip in the gouge and under a microscope I have never been able to detect any defect in the pics.</p>