to build my own LF 5x4 camera?

chris_rass

<p>Please, could somebody give me some instruction, plans for already builded cameras... etc. I am new in that category but my desire is to move from digital world to LF. Unfortunately my budget is lowly and I cannot buy what is in my heart - Ebony RW45.</p>

<p>I can't but I restore, refurbished some in my life and did some cameras too but there is a lots investigation you must do before getting along to decide of building one.<br>

First you need a lot's of tools so look around what you got and what you can manufacture by yourself as to let out work to somebody else its actually expencive. You could easily find yourself in the situation were the camera you building gets mor expencive than the one you can find on Ebay<br>

Than you just concider if its whort it as there is many cheap cameras available in that size on Ebay.<br>

Of course it's not going to be selfmade as it's always something totaly different feeling. But, you say you want Ebony. Well, you can also start with a chep one to work with and save money to your ebony during that time. If you have more questions just ask.<br>

Good luck to you</p>

<p>Thanks Frank, I really appreciate your answer. I know what you mean but I am afraid that I wouldn't stop to think about that and I was firmly decided to go through it in any price! I am machine and electronic engineer already 25 years and have some knowledge just need some information in that way!<br /> <br /> Best regards, chris</p>

<p>You certainly have the enthusiasm, Chris, but I agree with Frank. There's so much more to a view camera than woodworking or metal working skills. I've seen cameras built from kits, like the Bender. If photography is really your interest, I would recommend going to eBay and getting something you can start with immediately. Another alternative would be to find a Deardorff that's in need of restoration so that you can use your skills. Either building or restoring a camera will take many, many hours of work. LF photography is a wonderful experience. Why wait!</p>

<p>There is plenty of material on web. I wouldn't listen to anyone who would argue against a DIY project. But to be honest, I prefer better quality equipment after I proved myself that image is accomplishable with the self-made thing.<br>

My starting point was LF photographing experience, however, which made it easier to make decisions between directions to go. There is a whole bunch of standard accessories mainly attaching to the back of the camera like film holders, hoods that You will probably not be making yourself. They will guide the design, everything else is quite free. I could send You my drawings, but I am not sure You will find much useful about them.</p>

<p>http://www.hot.ee/suurkaamera<br>

http://home.online.no/~gjon/<br>

http://www.nic.fi/~mikoneka/design.html</p>

<p>If you're excited about this project for the precision aspect of the equipment, the wooden field camera designs which have been in use for over a century (largely unchanged and not any too precise with the adjustments) might prove disappointing.<br>

You might look into either borrowing or renting either a technical field camera and also a studio monorail with instrument-grade controls for a weekend to see which is more satisfying, before undertaking such an ambitious project.<br>

(BTW an extremely precise monorail like a Sinar can sometimes be found used at auction for a few hundred dollars. You'd doubtless invest many scores of hours into duplicating what's practically being given away in the used marketplace right now.)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you want to build, then build. The only thing that you need to really pay attention to is making sure that the ground glass surface is where the filnm will be. There are standards on the web for that dimension. I built a back for an old 8x10 and it really wasn't that bad. Don't ask me about the bellows....that was a bit more difficult. Here is a list of links that is pretty comprehensive: http://home.online.no/~gjon/camerabuilders.htm </p>

<p>My current project, based on how I use my 4x5s and 5x7s, is an 8x10. I have adopted features from some of my cameras. No intent to fold, as I generally carry the camera on the tripod after initial set-up.</p>

<p>My current project, based on how I use my 4x5s and 5x7s, is an 8x10. I have adopted features from some of my cameras. No intent to fold, as I generally carry the camera on the tripod after initial set-up.</p><div>00Sh26-114255584.jpg.2b4888881efe3744c50525f758fcfeb8.jpg</div>

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...