Canon 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 FD Zoom Lens

frankie_frank1

<p>By the way this is not a particularly good lens - the best standard FD zoom is the 35 - 105 F3.5 (and the best FD zoom is the 80-200 F4L). Even then the EOS 70-200 F2.8 is better. One area where lenses have definately improved over the last few years is zooms. The top quality FD primes (e.g. 85 F1.2) are still very good lenses and in my opinion better constructed than the EOS L series lenses. However, older lenses may not work as well on digital bodies (if the manufacturers are to be beleived) due to the lack of an anti reflective coating on the rear element - I suspect nikon users are more knowledgeable on this matter. By the way there are even a few (non-Canon) EOS lenses that will not work on digital bodies - the Sigma 14mm F3.5 being an example I am aware of.</p>

<p>I'm with Philip and Bob on this one. In fact, I was just about to post about the virtues of the FD 35-105/3.5 over the lens you have, and also parenthetically mention the best FD zoom, the 80-200/4 L. But Philip beat me to it! Another good FD zoom is the 20-35/4 L, if you're into the wide end.</p>

<p>Presumably, however, you're not interested in using your FD lens on an FD body, but on an EOS body instead. As Bob said, you shouldn't bother. There are two types of adapters, those with optics and those without. The ones with optics degrade image quality, and your lens doesn't have good IQ to begin with. With the glassless adapters, you lose infinity focus, so they're suitable only for macro work. But you wouldn't want to use your FD lens for macro anyway.</p>

<p> Ergo, it's not worth bothering adapting your FD zoom for use on an EOS body. Pick up an EF 24-70/2.8 L or a 24-105/4 L instead.</p>