Buying Used Quantum Turbo Batteries

jpb

<p >I’ve been considering purchasing portable power to use with my 550EX and 580EX canon Flash. The newer models are out of my price range and I see that eBay seems to have Used Quantum Turbos for about $250. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >However, I am hesitant to purchase used rechargeable battery power.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Any advice / warnings / previous experience?</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thanks, </p>

<p >James</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p>I never buy used equipment. That's dangerous for what I do.</p>

<p>Why do you need a Quantum battery?</p>

<p>I run my cameras & flashes manually and control the amount of light I need with ISO and f stop. I use Sunpak or Metz or Quantum Q flashes at each gig I do and will start them up at the beginning of the event and will usually last the entire event on one set of "AA" NiMetHyd batteries except Quantum where I use the Turbo battery. Why different brands? The Sunpak I bought when I couldn't afford any other, the rest I will use one set as primary and the others as backup. The only time I use Quantum batteries is during formals when I operate the flashes at a 1/2 power using umbrellas and I want fast re-cycling. Otherwise I operate the flashes at the lowest power setting. Everything in manual. I like the Sunpak 120J and 544's the best. Lightweight, simple and easy to use. Low cost including operation. I fire them all with Pocket Wizards. I like that and so does my banker.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I bought a "rebuilt" Turbo one once off of Ebay and it worked, but only for about 50 full power shots before its supposed new batteries lost their charge. So let the buyer beware. Unless you have better luck than I had you'll be happier just waiting until you can save up for a new one with warranty. </p>

<p>I've bought used Turbos on eBay several times. Generally, you can count on having to re-cell them. I think Quantum does this for under $100, but I just went down to a local commercial electronics supply store and bought new cells for under $30. They are surprisingly easy to install. High voltae inside though, so be careful.</p>

<p>BTW, A healthy Quantum Turbo will recycle a Canon 550EX or 580EX in just under 1 second after a full power pop. However, Canon's own CP-E3(4) will do the same in about 1.2 seconds. Plenty fast for me. The CP-E3(4) is less weight and about 1/3 the cost. They use 8 AA batteries for power, and last plenty long too.</p>

<p>I did a wedding last week where I shot nearly 1000 flash shots and never changed the one set of rechargeable NiMH batteries in either the CP-E3 or the flash. The Turbo is better, but the Canon CP-E3 is enough for me.</p>

<p>I like the multi-AA battery packs as well - I'm Nikon, so for me that's the SD-8a. But I can swap out the AA batteries, recycle is very fast, and it's very light compared to the quantum.</p>

<p>Having said that, when I put my Sunpak 120J off-camera to give more light to the room, I use the quantum on that and it recycles faster than my flash on camera by just a hair. I did recell the battery myself - got it used on ebay for about $60 then a new battery for $30.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have 2 Quantum Turbo 2s that I got on eBay. They work great. I use them off camera with some old Metz 45CT-1s.<br>

I was at WPPI a few days ago and asked at the Quantum booth if ther was any danger of them exploding or something. They said no and that if they stop taking a charge to send them in and they'll fix them.</p>

<p>B.J. Sharp: "The one camera-related thing I'd never buy second hand are batteries..."</p>

<p>Agreed, for the reasons you pointed out, but when buying a used Quantum Turbo you are mostly paying for their high efficiency DC to DC converter and other electronics. The batteries inside are the cheap part, and are easily replaceable.</p>