FDn 24mm f/2 problem

mark_pierlot

<p>I have an FDn 24/2 that's aperture is stuck open due to oil on the blades. My technician has been unable to remove the front ring to access the diaphragm. He's not sure whether the front ring is screwed or glued on, but in either case he says he can't remove it without destroying the ring or damaging the front element.</p>

<p>Does anyone know how to dissemble this lens, or know anyone who has experience doing so? My technican is very skilled and does excellent work, but this problem has him stumped.</p>

<p>I have had New FD lenses repaired at Essex Camera Service in Carlstadt, NJ. If you are more to the west then you can try Ken Ruth at Photography On Bald Mountain in Davenport, CA. The 24/2 is supposed to be a very nice lens and is well worth fixing. Both of my 24/2 lenses are Vivitars. The 22XXX... model is in Konica AR mount and the 28XXX... model is in Minolta MD mount. </p>

<p>Sorry to hear of your problems - I once had a lens repaired by KEH and they were cheap and did a good job (although I suspect there are more skilled people). I have the 24 F2 and think that it is a great lens - one of my favourite FD lenses. I have not shot the 24 F1.4 so i cannot compare them.</p>

<p>Hi Mark,<br>

I seem to remember that most of the FDn front ring (I guess you are speaking of the "ring" between the lens and the tread) are glued and should be pried away. It is difficult to do so without somewhat damaging the aspect of the "ring", is it is plastic. However, between a slight cosmetic issue and not using the lens, I now what I would choose!<br>

Now, if you'd rather get rid of the lens, let me know! ;-)</p>

<p>Thanks for all your help, guys. Ken Ruth is a name that keeps coming up. I e-mailed him about my problem, and he said that since he wasn't familiar with this particular lens, he'd have to see it to diagnose the problem.</p>

<p>My "guy" here in Vancouver, BC has been described as "the best there is" when it comes to pre-electronic camera and lens servicing. He's Hasselblad factory-trained and has worked on many of my FD bodies and lenses. As I've said, the problem he's having with the 24/2 is getting the front ring off. The ring is evidently threaded aluminum, not snapped-on plastic as it is with cheaper FDn lenses. And apparently, some adhesive has been applied that is preventing him from unscrewing it using his usual method. Judiciously applied acetone has not dissolved the adhesive. What he would really like is an assembly chart, but apparently there isn't one to be had for this lens.</p>

<p>The other alternative is for him to cut two small opposing slots into to the ring into which he would be able to insert a tool with which he would remove the ring. He would paint the slots after the work is done, and they would be barely visible. I've had him modify the rear baffle of my FD 400/4.5 SSC so that it accepts a 1.4x extender, and his machining is so good that the finished product looks factory done. I think at this stage this is my best option, especially since I don't intend to ever sell the lens and am therefore not worried that the modification will reduce its value.</p>