Why you process photos?

jnina

<p>I just want to know why in USA you process the photos before giving the CD or Slideshow for B&G to select photos for the album.<br>

I usually will take all photos that are no good out (bad expressions, dark, overexposed, etc), then I might process some photos to see if they are worth letting the B&G see them. I do not really process any of the photos till they are not selected by B&G. This really works and I don't have the hassle of working on photos that where not taken or selected to be on the Album or Printed.</p>

<p>I choose which are processed because there is more to a great image then composition. I can see potential in an image that the client can't see and sometimes will end up being their favorite photo of all.<br>

I do 95% of all my editing in lightroom and I can do it quickly. It actually saves me time to do it right away as I don't have to wait for the client to get back to me with their selection list. I haven't had anyone come back to me and request more editing yet.</p>

<p>My clients will only every see a fully edited and processed set of proofs (between 200 and 300 images on average). I believe that in showing the images at their best, I will gain an immediate positive response, which always translates into more orders. Whilst your method may save you some work, I think it's at the expense of profit. </p>

<p>All my images are color balanced and exposure corrected before the client sees them. In the changing light of a church and other settings it is impossible to get all of them perfect. Post processing solves many of those problems.</p>

<p>I never let a client see less than optimal images.</p>

<p>There are many levels of processing. I shoot raw files so they need to be processed to jpgs for proofing, even if I do nothing to them. I choose to apply certain presets I have created for different situations and make basic exposure and color adjustments so that what the customer sees is close to what they will get if they order it. Showing totally unfinished work makes it look like you don't care about your images.</p>

<p>I agree. My friend got married last year. His photographer was decent, but gave him all the proofs online unprocessed. There were pictures that were literally sideways - as in he didn't even take the time to rotate the vertical pictures. Some were good, but had blown highlights, were underexposed, needed cropping, etc. You could imagine my friend's initial disappointment.</p>

<p>The photographer's idea was that the B&G would just pick out which ones they wanted to buy, and then he would PP those. But as an average person without a keen eye, how was he supposed to visualize which ones could be cleaned up and how?</p>

<p>I dunno why in the USA, (and UK) there is all that bother making the pickies look good to greater or lesser degrees, before the client sees any of them them . . . <br>

<br>

But down here, it is a simple answer why we correct every image, before the viewing presentation: <br>

1. the client buys more product<br>

2. the client is more likely to recommend us to another client<br>

3. the client buys more product<br>

4. the client understands the price, for the quality we provide <br>

5. the client buys more product<br>

6. the client is an happy client, when they see only beautiful photos <br>

7. the client buys more product<br>

8. we have complete control of what leaves the studio and is displayed with our name on it<br>

9. the client buys more product<br>

10. we have professional pride, to show only the best of our work<br>

11. the client buys more product<br>

<br>

I have found that the client is usually is inclined to buy more, if every image on display looks spectacular; <em>no matter what the business model is used.</em> <br>

<br>

However, I acknowledge that different businesses do have different selling models and different priorities according to customer base, location and client culture / expectation. I am familiar with businesses (in our area), which operate along the lines you have described, their system must suits them, I guess, I have never asked. <br>

<br>

My guess is, on this thread, you will get most responses from folk who do PP (perhaps quite a lot) on the images for the first viewing, proof album or on line page. <br>

<br>

I think it would be interesting to hear from those Wedding Professionals who <strong ><em >do not</em></strong>, and ask them, their reasons why. <br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p>I correct the process >> before I click the shutter... . Manual exposure for the camera & flash ...placing the subject in the right light, etc. Saves time in any post. I can faithfully deliver a card or film ~~ right from the camera and know I & the client > will be most happy.<br>

Just a different approach to the art ...</p>

<p>

<p><strong><em>I correct the process >> before I click the shutter... . Manual exposure for the camera & flash ...placing the subject in the right light, etc. Saves time in any post.</em></strong></p>

<p>Totally agree with you C Jo! My customers know before hand what they will receive because I let them see not only Demos but actual albums or videos that I will be delivering to actual customers all the time.<br>

Anyway, till some point I think is a time lose to retouch from 1000 to 1500 that is the usual number of photos taken in any given event when you already know the album of your customer will be for example 195 images, so let them select and then I retouch and make the album desing, some customers want to check the album before printing as to correct it.<br>

So I can, for example, give B&G some help after they make their selection and retouch a few photos to let them get my point of view on what can be done with those photos.<br>

I do think that we have different methods because:<br>

1- We are in different countrys ( I'm in Dominican Rep.)<br>

2- Customers in D.R. usually are much more personal with this type of service, they like to see first hand what they are purchasing or are going to pay for.<br>

3- Internet here is mainly for promoting yourself, not for selling photos (some photogs. are starting to do this but only for the customer to see a slideshow of the pictures.)</p>

<br>

4- Customer may call you or send via email the selection they have made but nobody pays for a photo online (at least not wedding photos) .<br>

<p>I want to thank all of you for your response to this post!!!!!!!</p>

</p>

• 1 month later...