Tamron USA Turnaround Time

anirbanbanerjee

<p><em>"... is starting to show specks of dust, I am planning to send it to Tamron to be cleaned under warranty."</em></p>

<p>You can certainly send it in if you want to, but it is a COMPLETE waste of time. Perhaps you will feel better knowing that it is temporarily "clean". But when you get it back you will see ZERO difference in your images, and the dust specks will return eventually.</p>

<p>As Peter indicated, almost all SLR camera lenses will get scattered specks of dust inside between the element groups, and it takes a lot to have any effect (reduced contrast). It's unavoidable, inconsequential, and unless one makes a habit out of shooting during dust storms in the desert, nothing to worry about. Dust specks inside a SLR lens can not resolve as spots (blurred, sharp or otherwise) at the image plane.</p>

<p><em>"Should that have happened? It's only 5 months old."</em></p>

<p>Age is irrelevant. Any lens that changes its physical volume as it is focused or zoomed MUST also "breathe", i.e. suck and blow air. If it did not, the lens would be extremely difficult to focus or zoom (the lens tube / camera mirror box would vary from a pressurized to vacuum state). So it is inevitable that small fine particles of dust will find their way into such lenses. Some lens designs are more prone to dust accumulation than others. The Tamron 90mm, being a macro lens with significant focus extension, also changes volume significantly as it focuses from infinity to 1:1, so it is a design that is more susceptible to dust ingress.</p>

<p>Anyone worried about a speck or two (or more) of dust inside their SLR lenses should not shine flashlights through them. You're not going to like what you see. ;-)</p>

<p>Anirban, I'm fairly certain that your warranty does not cover cleaning. I have the same lens and I just read the warranty card. It says the lens is "warranted against defective materials or workmanship...." Dust isn't either of those. If I were you, I'd just leave it alone unless it affects your images. More than likely, you'll never see the dust on your images.<br>

</p>

<p>Michael outlined the situation far better than I did and he's absolutely correct. I've shot lenses with scratches and fungus inside that worked just fine. All my glass has a bit of dust inside. A few specs of dust don't make a difference. I have lenses that showed dust within a few days of ownership.</p>

<p>Plus Tamron or any other company will not clean this lens under warranty. You will have to pay that cost. This is not a service issue because there is nothing wrong with the lens. Warranties cover 'Manufacturers defects" which isn't the case with dust.</p>

<p>As for how well a lens can do in poor condition, check out these pictures. As the owner said, the front of the lens was cleaned with a brick. But the images still look great.</p>

<p>http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/30581-post4.html</p>

<p>Anirban, it backfocused <em>a lot</em> . I tried it on both my K10D (which had just been adjusted by Pentax) and my K100D Super, and it happened with both cameras, so I know for sure it was the lens.</p>

<p>How the lens itself can produce backfocusing when it's the camera that decides when the image is in focus, is something I cannot understand yet. The Tamron rep on the phone didn't sound surprised when I told him what the problem was so maybe it's not that uncommon.</p>

<p>Javier, maybe they don't fix the lenses until you place a call LOL!</p>

<p>My update: the rep I spoke to told me she couldn't see a tracking number and asked if I wanted her to notify me when it shipped. I said "yeah, sure" and she took down my e-mail address. I never thought I'd hear back from her. But lo and behold this morning I got a personal e-mail from her sending me the UPS tracking # and letting me know I would receive it on March 3rd. A couple of hours later the UPS guy delivered the lens, so she was wrong! :-D</p>

<p>Apart from taking 5 weeks more than they said they would, I have to give them 5 stars for customer service; certainly much better than the service I've received from Pentax.</p>

<p>As for the lens, it now focuses perfectly, and I'm extremely happy to finally have a quality wide angle zoom at my disposal (it's a 17-35mm f/2.8-4 full-frame lens).</p>

<p>I sent a lens in to Tamron to be checked out and had it back within a month.</p>

<p>I got it back so fast I didnt get a chance to wonder how long it was gonna take.<br>

maybe becasue I am in NY (130) miles from them...who knows maybe I caught them on a shipping cusp</p>