Focusing Rail Options

zeb_lisik

<p>Hi I'm trying to get into macro and am considering buying a Spiratone Deluxe Focusing Rail but I'm having trouble finding info on it. And the guy selling dosn't feel like taking a photo of it. Does anyone have any opinions on it? Does it age like a fine wine?<br>

Alternatively I'm thinking about one of those 4 way rails off ebay shipping out of china, which look exactly like the 4 way from adorama. I've read an account that they're exactly the same.<br>

Can anyone help me make a decision on either of these?</p>

<p>Some say that the Adorama and Spiratone units are identical (<a href="http://forums.popphoto.com/showthread.php?t=490216">http://forums.popphoto.com/showthread.php?t=490216</a>) but from what I understand Spiratone used to make/sell a couple of different models.<br>

I'm a fan of Novoflex/Castel rails: pricey but built like a tank and very smooth in operation. I wouldn't buy a cheap knock-off (the thing must have smooth movements and has to be stable to be useful.) You may need only one rail, not a 4-way setup, BTW.</p>

<p>The Velbon rail is not as cheap as might seem when you add on the quick release platform and a QR plate for underneath. Those extra bit make it heavier and bulkier too. The Velbon rail is quite good, though when you use both axes, it is wobbly. Remove the base and it is fine. There is extensive use of modest grade plastics which makes it feel a bit cheaper than otherwise.However, the motion on the main rail is very smooth and precise due to what look like well engineered gears.</p>

<p>Online comments indicate the Novoflex Castel-Q is one of the best around.</p>

<p>Apparently the Chines 4 way rails are the basis for the Kirk rail. Search this site and you'll find the comments. I had a Contax rail which was the same basic design and I can't say I liked it.</p>