New F1N and keh

neil_shell

<p>I am looking to get a New F1N and was looking at keh and what they have. They have one with the standard prism in ex for $325 and one in bgn for $199. I know keh has an epic reputation for absurdly good items in bgn rating and I have several lenses from them with that rating and they are excellent. My question is are the bodies really good with a bgn rating, like the lenses, or should I spend more on the ex rated one?</p>

<p>I've had some operational issues with BGN camera bodies from KEH. They've always made good(including shipping both ways), but still it's a bit of a hassel to have to deal with sending cameras back and forth.</p>

<p>Still, though, you do the best warranty out there on used items, so even if what you buy has operational issues, you'll still come out alright on it. The only suggestion I can offer is to check it out thoroughly when you get it, and see if you notice anything.</p>

<p>Neil, if you're inclined to use aperture priority, I'd suggest you hold out for an F-1N with an AE Finder. I picked up an F-1N with a standard prism, and then paid an additional $200 for an AE Finder. While it is true that the body has aperture priority with any of the prisms, only the AE Finder displays the shutter speed that the camera has selected when shooting in Av. It's an indispensible feature, at least for me.</p>

<p>I am actually considering getting the speed finder as I wear glasses and have heard that it helps with full view of the scene from corner to corner. I really don't like having to either move my head or the camera to see all of the scene, the way I was taught was to make sure to look from corner to corner before taking the shot.<br>

I guess I'll just save up a few more weeks of tips and get the ex version instead of the bgn. I'd really rather not have to worry about any problems down the line because of it. Thanks for all the responses guys.<br>

Neil</p>

<p>Buy the Bargain grade. If you have any doubt about its functionality, send it off for a Clean/Lube/Adjust for about $175 and enjoy it for the rest of your life. Personally, I like a little brassing. Gives a "been somewhere, done something" look. What will do wonders for your focus is a PJ screen.</p>

<p>If you do plan on CLA, get it somewhere other than KEH. They're fine folks but recognize that they're a mass-production operation. I was NOT happy with their CLA on an old FI. They couldn't adjust the meter adequately. I paid somebody local to re-do it, matching it to my other F1 and my Minolta Flashmeter: Perfect.</p>

<p>THe speed finder is rather bulky and not actually that good for it's designed purpose. I bought one years ago to shoor ski racing but never use it. I have one body with the AE finder that i sometimes attach the power winder to and one with the standrad prism with the motor permenantly attached. The AE finder is much better for general use unless you are sure that you only ever need manual. You may also want to consider which screen (and therefore metering) you want. The bodies generally have the AE screen (center weighted) but I personally find the PE screen is more useful for general use.</p>

<p>Search for some rundowns on screens on this site and/or find a PDF on new F-1 manual and check out the part on focusing screens. The screen naming system:<br>

The first letter is a P, A, or S, meaning either Partial metering (12% rectangle in the middle), Averaging or Spot. Bob's link has good rundown on second letter functions.</p>