Putting a logo stamp/copyright on the front of final prints?

<p>I was just wondering what other professionals out there do. My business partner (also a photographer) wants to put our logo on the front of final prints (all sizes). I used to put our Business Name in the bottom right corner very tiny. What do others do? I'm not sure what the norm is. Any info or samples of images would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.<br>

Allison</p>

<p>I understand where everyone's coming from, but most professional photographers put their logo, signature, or copyright notice in the corner of their prints...especially the larger ones. Of course, it shouldn't be distracting, but you want to make sure the message is clear that you own the image and the rights associated with copying and distributing. It's not meant to serve as an advertisement, it's simply further protection.<br>

At the very least, be sure to educate the customer or what their usage rights are, and/or include brief literature on copyright information. If you're running a business, you want to do everything you can to keep them from reprinting on their own (without scaring them), because if they do, then what reason do they have to come back.</p>

<p>We add our studio name to ALL prints. Smaller prints are simply white lettering angled in the corner. Large prints (larger than 11x14) get our studio name "embossed" in photoshop in the bottom corner relative to the size of the print. NOTHING goes out of our studio without our name on the front of the image. Every other professional portrait and wedding photographer in our area does this as well. It would be unheard of in our market not too.</p>

<p>Olin Mills has done this since before WW2. Thus when we as a printer were asked to enlarge a couple's original wedding images for a 50th aniversery event as giant posters; we contacted Olin Mills a fee was paid to Olin Mills; the the 50 year old image. A logo is abit more tacky than not having one. It is somewhat regional too. In autos a California new car might get a dealers name on the REMOVEABLE license plate trim piece; ie Courtesy Chevrolet of Thousand Oaks. A new car in the midwest or south somtimes has a logo POP RIVETED on teh rear of the car; or BONDED to it; ie JIM-BOB's FORD of RIVERDALE.</p>

<p>I imprint all my finished prints with my name. It's more a signature than a watermark or copyright notice, but of course it serves both those purposes anyway.</p>

<p>It's kept small and subtle, and placed in one or the other of the lower corners, whichever looks best.</p>

<p>I can't imagine not signing my work. Artists sign their paintings, etc. Why shouldn't photographers.</p>

<p>The only time I'd not sign a print would be if it's submitted for use in media or advertising. In those cases it's up to the buyer to put a photo credit adjacent to the image. That's common in editorial use, but not in advertising.</p>