Canon Rebel/300D - Battery Issues

throbinson

<p>I have a Canon Rebel (or 300D if in the USA) and lately it's been having some issues with batteries.</p>

<p>I have 3 batteries, a Canon and 2 generic batteries. All 3 fully charged, yet, after 2-3 shots the indicator goes right down to 1/2 power showing. The other day I went to shoot, batteries were all fully charged, I managed to shoot about an hour on the one generic battery, then it died, I put the next battery in and said it was dead right away, then tried the 3rd battery which lasted 15min and then died as well.</p>

<p>I had this problem before when I stuck in a 4GB memory card, the camera didn't like it at all, so figured maybe the camera wasn't designed to handle 4GB or just disliked that make. So I went back to my 2GB Sandisk Extreme III card which for almost 2yrs has been fine.</p>

<p>That being said, the camera has acted weird with power ever since I tried the 4GB card which may be the cause or coincidence.</p>

<p>So, so far what I have done was, drained each battery fully having it in the camera and the auto-shutoff disabled on the camera, just let it sit and die. Then I charged each battery up using a different charger in case the charger was at fault, then drained the batteries again then fully charged them all.</p>

<p>I went to my camera, turned it on, took 3 shots and 1/2 power showing again.</p>

<p>Camera settings are fully cleared/reset before ever shoot. No hack firmware installed either. Any ideas?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I have a Canon XTi, and I have had similar problems. Sometimes, the camera will "go on" by itself, even if the power is off. I find that if I remove the battery and then reinsert it, it'll be good to go. But, sometimes, I get very little juice, even if the battery has just been charged, and other times, it goes fine. <br>

I've had occasions when it dies, with no warning, no sign that the battery is low.<br>

BTW, I've only used a 4GB card with this camera. I have two fairly new Canon batteries to interchange, but I have to keep up with them being charged, since I've missed some incredible shots with the "wrong" battery in. I'd love to know what's up with this.</p>

<p>I believe the behaviour you describe are batteries at the end of their lives.</p>

<p>I also used a 300D, I also have one original battery and two generics. (All 4 years old now). As you describe, when I insert a fully charged battery, the indicator will drop down to half full very soon.<br>

But there it remains for several hundred shots, before it finally indicates empty.<br>

The reason behind this is, that with older batteries the voltage drops down sooner. They still have a usable capacity, but since the camera estimates the expected remaining load of the battery by watching the voltage, it comes to the conclusion, the battery is half empty (when in reality it isnt).</p>

<p>Nevertheless, in your case, the voltage drops down too fast, so the capacity of the cells is really too low in the meanwhile. Just buy one or two generics as replacements.</p>

<p>As for the 4GB card...I tried a 4GB card ... and the camera would work with it, but I have some strange experiences in the case, the battery goes down and the camera switches off shortly after having stored the last image. In all those cases the last image was lost. In some cases, I couldn't use the card in the camera after this until I formatted it (of course, images could be saved to a PC, and a "chkdsk /f" also cured the problem with the card (which was just an inconsitency in the filesystem ... produced by the camera itself)). So, as you I stopped using 4GB cards in the 300D.</p>

<p>Regarding the 4GB card and the behaviour with the batteries, I believe this is just coincidence.</p>

<p>Note that with rechargable Lithium batteries, letting them discharge completely will shorten their lifespans. Best to charge after each use (they don't suffer memory effect) rather than run them right down, as was recommended with NiCds.</p>

<p>Well, the 1 battery is older, original battery. I bought the camera used 1yr ago and bought the 2 extra batteries then. That being said, I barely ever use 2 of the batteries because I'm more a casual shooter, (use the original one, go home and charge it when done and put it back in) which is why I was thinking more a camera fault than older batteries needing replaced, plus all 3 batteries started acting up at the same time.</p>

<p>Also, should have mentioned... a "dead" battery when I stick it into the charger within 10min shows fully charged. The light indicator on the charger also shows more than half charged when the camera indicated dead and shut itself off.</p>

<p>As for the total discharge, it's rare I shoot long enough to totally discharge a battery and I charge them as soon as I am home again. Which is good since I didn't know about what BOB PRAGNELL said in his message. I only purposely discharged them fully to sort out the issue.</p>

<p>Problem is everyone I know uses the XT or Nikons, so can't trade batteries for a day and test that way. Was wondering if it was just a common issue with this camera when it's near the end of its life or something.</p>

<p>As others have said, it could well be the batteries. I sold my original 300D with 2 batteries and kept another 2 for my new camera, a 40D (they take the same batteries). I quickly found that the old 300D batteries did not last as long as my 40D ones (one genuine, 2 generic). The short charge time is a bit of an indicator here. Don't hold me to it, but I recall seeing somewhere that Lithium-ion batteries not only have a limited use life but also a limited shelf life. This would mean that if you bought a new but old stock battery then it would not hold as much charge as a freshly manufactured one. I recall seeing this info on a battery supply web site where new old-stock batteries were being sold at a discount for this reason.</p>

<p>BTW, why would you want to use 4 GB cards on a 300D? The most I used was 2 GB which was good for around 700 jpegs or 300 RAWs. I suggest you try a new battery (even buy one) and go back to a lower capacity card. However, I don't think a 4 GB card would increase battery consumption. As far as using batteries goes, I number each one and use them in turn rather than using the same one all the time. I have also bought generic batteries where some have lasted for three year or more and others that have lasted barely 12 months. That could be down to the quality of the batteries to start with or could be related to the shelf-life theory.</p>

<p>Cheers, Bob</p>

<p>I dunno still... I mean I understand that batteries although rechargeable only recharge so often, and have a shelf life, but, again all 3 batteries went belly up the same day, 2 a year old one one 5yrs old. The 5yr old battery I can see... but the other two which rarely get used... that's where I have to wonder.</p>

<p>I'm a student (34yrs old but student again) so, buying extra batteries is a bit pricey. Even the eBay ones to find out it's not the issue. That's why I wondered if anyone had this issue as well and it wasn't the batteries.</p>

<p>Downside is, I'm looking to get the XSi body within a few weeks. Originally the 50D but, bills and a few car issues later, looks like the XSi will have to suffice. Still much better, double the megapixels, newer generation digic, etc... anyway, point is... buying and of course uses a different battery and memory card. Debated selling the 300D but... I don't want to stiff someone with a bad camera if indeed not a battery issue.</p>

<p>Oh, as for the 4GB memory... was on sale for $15 so bought it, too cheap not to. Figured when I got the 50D and shoot RAW it would be a good card to have.But agreed... 4GB would be overkill on a 6.3mp camera otherwise, the 2GB always worked fine. Plus, putting all your eggs in one basket for a shoot is never a good idea in case the card dies... I have a 2GB main card, a pair of 512Mb and an old 256Mb as well. Never ran out of space yet.</p>

<p>That being said, the 4GB in the 300D <strong>really</strong> acted weird. The batteries showed as dead just leaving the camera on for 5-10min without use. It was much much worse than what the camera is now doing. I used my friends XT instead. The very few shots I got with my 300D vs the ones with the older Rebel XT, wow... big difference in quality hence the wanted upgrade. I graduate soon so looking for something to use for myself and work (Graphic Designer) so hoped the 50D but, likely the XSi will do the job fine. Too bad the body is so small.</p>

<p>I have a 300D and 3 4gig cards, sandisk extremeIIIs.<br>

I had an original and 2 batteries off ebay. one generic stopped holding a charge after a couple months. then my 2 batteries started doing the same thing one weekend. full charge and then dropping down to 1/2 and then nothing in just a dozen shots.<br>

its all about how the camera measures available charge via voltage. batteries might be fully charged but over time their voltage drops off, little by little. so the threshold is different from camera to camera too, if you took your 'dead' battery out and put it in a 20D it may very well work for a whole day.<br>

i think took advice i found on these forums and bought some batteries from sterling tek. they really are good batteries ive found and the ones they sell for the 300D hold more charge. <a href="http://sterlingtek.com/cabpbp14baeq.html">http://sterlingtek.com/cabpbp14baeq.html</a> <br>

B&H sells the 50D body for 1300$ new, instead maybe you should get a used 5D or a 1Ds, esp if you want a larger camera. ive been watching the 1DsMk2 on ebay for a week and ive seen them go as low as 1950$. the mk4 should come out sooner or later driving the price even lower.<br>

ps days at the park and botanical gardens ive shot 10+ gigs, even on my pixel concious 300D.</p>

<p>-- "that being said, I barely ever use 2 of the batteries because I'm more a casual shooter"</p>

<p>A bit offtopic ... but good practice, when using several batteries is, to number them, and use them round-robin. After battery "one" was in the camera, you put in battery "two", and after the "two" the "three" gets in, and then the "one" again.<br>

This way, you ensure, that all batteries have about the same number of charge cycles.</p>

<p>As said above, besides the number of charge cycles, the lifespan also influences LIon batteries.</p>

<p>Try a new one, generics are really not expensive. Its highly likely that this will cure it.</p>

<p>Well ... seems the batteries win, I'll check online and see if I can find a place that does combined shipping on eBay, maybe get the XSi batteries at the same time.</p>

<p>As for the used cameras... as low as $1950? Man if I had $1950 I'd just get the 50D new. :) But I know what you mean, used or even refurbished has some good deals but, I have 0 luck for used electronics online, so, I would rather get something new with warranty where I can just drive to the store and let them deal with it. :)<br>

I looked for used in a store, but, no luck in this area (smaller town in Ontario).</p>

<p>Thomas,<br>

that is not my only point but also that there seems to be plenty of people that would prefer a used 1ds over any xxD and even over a 5d2; but their needs may be much different than yours. lots of people think that the differences between a 40D and 50D are slight enough that a used 40D offers much more value over a new or used 50D. id say that if youre upgrading your body then don't discount the 1d and 5d from your considerations.<br>

in the end its really all about your present and future needs.</p>