24-70 AFS Nikon Focus Query

peter_kervarec

<p>I have a 24-70 Nikon Afs lens. In the lens specs, it states that the closest focus is obtained between the 35 & 50 zoom settings. That is correct on my lens. With the same lens, the "70" end will focus closer than the "24" end of the zoom , possibly an inch or so, but neither will focus as close as the 35-50mm section. Have others experienced this? I would have thought that the focus distance would be uniform throughout the range.</p>

<p>"Have others experienced this?"</p>

<p>I wonder why you expect that this would differ on the individual basis? This is a function of the optical design and I would expect that all samples of this lens would be the same.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I wonder why you expect that this would differ on the individual basis? This is a function of the optical design and I would expect that all samples of this lens would be the same.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Gee Walter Schroeder, I must ask your permission next time before I post a silly question like that, I mean after all, I should have known that every lens by the same manufacturer of the same focal length was exactly the same ! How silly of me to even think anything different. The lenses I have had over the years of the same brand/focal length that I tested were different in many ways but I must have made a mistake with my data and testing methods because they are are all the same to you.</p>

<p>Sometimes I have to wonder whether this is a forum to ask general photography questions. There seems to be quite a few self appointed moderators and critics who are more than ready to espouse their "know all" and "dont dare disagree" attitude. I have noticed this a lot more just lately. Seems you cant ask others about their experience with photography and equipment without knowalls that trawl the forums and are deliberately condescending when they find something they know a little about.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My key question was " I would have thought that the focus distance would be uniform throughout the range."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I then get a definitive reply from people who no doubt manufacture lenses themselves.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Sometimes I have to wonder whether this is a forum to ask general photography questions. There seems to be quite a few self appointed moderators and critics who are more than ready to espouse their "know all" and "dont dare disagree" attitude. I have noticed this a lot more just lately. Seems you cant ask others about their experience with photography and equipment without knowalls that trawl the forums and are deliberately condescending when they find something they know a little about.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My key question was " I would have thought that the focus distance would be uniform throughout the range."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I then get a definitive reply from people who no doubt manufacture lenses themselves.</p>

<p> </p>