White-ish Cast on Rubber Camera Body (D300)

philip_ohanlon

<p>Philip,</p>

<p>It is probably just oxidation of the rubber surface. Use a slightly damp medium or hard bristle toothbrush and brush the hand grip vigorously, then wipe with a clean terry cloth towel. Repeat if necessary. That should do it.</p>

<p>Dan,</p>

<p>I use the same method for oxidized rubber lens rings. Makes them look like new again if they are not too far gone.</p>

<p>Don't use Armor-all or any type of vinyl/rubber protectant chemical, it's not something you want soaking into your skin for various reasons. You could try some mild detergent (just water should be fine though), and washcloth or brush. Just make sure you get all the soap off, it may make the rubber dry-rot if you don't. I think what you are seeing is probably from the camera having been handled with dirty hands. </p>

<p>i have the same problem with a brand new D700. I think it is from greasy fingertips or so.<br>

not happy with it , but no reason to try to ruin the D700 with any chemicals.<br>

Maybe we can ask Nikon because i am sure many Nikon DSLR users will have this problem.</p>