lens

wesleyfarnsworth

<p>Good price.... I see completed listings on eBay for $50. So it depends on how much you trust an eBay lens vs how you are acquiring your version. As to whether it's a good lens.... what am I comparing it to? Ken seems to like it (but I don't know how much stock I put into what Ken writes!): http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-80mm-g.htm?refby=rflAID021866&sku=NK2880AFGU<br>

Personally, I like the 24-85 f/2.8-4.0 or a 17-55 f/2.8 (in terms of zoom lenses), either of which will be a lot more than $80.</p>

<p>Its a bit soft IMO, and build is not great. Still for $80, not too bad for at least a backup lens if needed.</p>

<p>If you charge for your work, get a lens that does your work the justice it deserves. It that lens costs $80, what is your work worth? Not that a cheap lens cannot get the shot, but there is usually a reason for the more costly glass.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You mentioned you purchased it primarily as a portrait lens. Which means about 40mm to 80mm (If you're on a cropped sensor) would be most useful to you on this lens. Staying within that range would allow you to minimize the distortion of facial features, particularly the nose.<br>

At 40mm you're already at F/4 as your widest aperture. For most this usually isn't enough to blur out backgrounds. Getting something with a wider aperture would also increase the effectiveness of your flash.<br>

This lens would be a good lens for other things, But I wouldn't consider it a good lens for portraits. For portraits, and in the same price range, I would get the 50mm f/1.8.<br>

------------- ---------------- ----------<br>

"If that lens costs $80, what is your work worth?"<br>

David, If you were buying a print, would you ask the photographer what lens he used and then based on that try to haggle the price out?</p>

<p> </p>