Nikkor 28mm f/1.4

frankie_frank1

<p>It's not a question of whether an exotic lens is worth the money. The market usually is reasonably efficient at determining a fair value for a non-essential item. If you have to ask, you don't need it. If you need it, you'll find a way to afford it. Not everyone needs the fastest available lens in a given prime focal length or zoom focal range.</p>

<p>Same dynamic applies to the Noct Nikkor, 200/2 VR, D3X and dozens of other high priced, exotic items from every manufacturer. Not everyone needs them. Those who do find a way to afford them.</p>

<p>The 28mm f/2 Ai-S is smaller and less expensive and really, really good. This is what I use and recommend. The 28/1.4 is ... well, it has autofocus and is no longer made, which is why prices go sky high. I don't believe the wide aperture image quality warrants the high price asked, but if you must have autofocus in a fast wide and don't find the 35/2 wide enough then the 28/1.4 is the only option available for Nikons. Tough life.</p>

<p>I think some have sold for close to $4000 so the lens is probably not worth $2995.</p>

<p>Now, would I pay $3000 for it? Of course not, I only paid $1000 for mine but the worth of an object is different to different people. If you're a millionaire and you want a 28mm f1.4 lens for your Nikon you don't have many choices and $3000 vs 5000 isn't a big deal.</p>

<p>I had a NIkon 28/1.4 back when it came out. Unfortunately I sold it when my paper went digital and started providing us with gear. It was kind of a boring lens on the DX format D1 cameras we were using at the time.<br>

I left the paper and am shooting Nikon again, and now that they finally have FX format cameras, I really wish I hadn't sold it. It was a wonderful lens, very sharp and it could see in the dark. It is by far my favorite Nikon lens ever.<br>

Having said all that, is it worth the current price? Depends on your needs and budget. A lot of the completed auctions were in the $2400 range, and I seriously considered buying one if I found one in that range. 28mm is my main and favorite focal length. I do 90 percent of my work with that one lens. So spending a lot on a 28mm is acceptable to me.<br>

But spending that much on a used lens with no warranty and no guarantee that it's not a lemon seems like a risk (I've heard reports of some bad copies of this lens, though mine was outstanding). If I bought one I'd prefer to do it from a reputable store that would offer a solid return policy, even if it meant I had to pay more for the lens.<br>

I decided instead to get the Zeiss 28/2. I was thinking that Nikon must see the market for this lens and reintroduce one, so I figured I'd get the zeiss to hold me over. Now that I'm using it, I love the quality of the zeiss as well as the feel and build quality. I liked it so much that I went out and got the 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 ZF lenses as well. I might still consider a new nikon, but it would have to be an amazing lens to get me to trade the zeiss.</p>