Erratic battery behavior, new K20D

doug_nelson3

<p>With both the battery that came with the camera and one I bought at KEH (OEM, not a Chinese cheapie) I see in the upper LCD that there's life left in the battery, but the camera refuses to show any data on the LCD screen (lens cap off, shutter button pressed halfway). Switching the battery fixes it. Is the battery power remaining indicator that unreliable? Reminds me of the gas gauge in early Japanese cars.</p>

<p>Yes, first of all, try a fully charged battery. As Leo pointed out, the battery charge indicator is not the best. I regard the one on my K10D as "full charge" and "oh my god, where's my spare battery". A charged battery will last for several hundred shots, still showing full. When it switches to half-charge, it goes completely dead in 30-50 shots.</p>

<p>Leave the battery on the charger overnight. If it still exhibits this problem, then you might need to have your camera serviced.</p>

<p>Paul Noble</p>

<p>Lithium batteries do not get to their full potential till after they have been charged a couple of times..<br>

The charge indicator on my K10d is like Paul's, but the the K20d is definitely more reliable.. it's been on 1/2 charge now for over 100 photos.. still going strong :-)</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>John --<br>

This is wholly <strong>untrue</strong> of Li-Ion. You do <strong>not</strong> want to deep cycle Li-Ion batteries. You're thinking of Nickle-based rechargeables.<br>

Paul is correct. Leave it on the charger overnight. Then use it a bit, charge it again, etc... Unlike Nickle, Li-Ion should charge fully regardless of how depleted, or not, it the battery was.<br>

If you still have issues, you either have a battery issue or a camera issue. If a second battery shows the same symtomps, then it's the camera.</p>