Ballhead Advice Needed

jeremy_wakefield

<p>Hi DN.<br>

I know; its a bit frustrating. It is only possible to tell if the design is one or two piece and not if the two piece is the "improved" production. Having spoken to a couple of dealers and also Arca Swiss in France, I am fairly confident that if I buy a new one from a dealer who has a high turnover, the design should be post-June 2008.<br>

I did consider the used B1 option though it seems the Z1 has a number of advantages over the older model ( weight, not so prone to lock - up, weight bearing capacity etc ). I reckon the B1G would be too big for my needs.<br>

On the whole I would be happy to go with the Z! if the pan lever issue was all right</p>

<p>William</p>

<p>Hello again Gerald. Sorry if my response was a trifle brusque. I didn't mean to come across that way, but had just returned home and was in a bit of a rush. Apologies are also due because apparently it is possible to buy the Markins from a European site quite easily. This might well be a sensible option and you have given me cause to consider it. Thanks for your help and hope you are not offended by my earlier response<br>

William</p>

<p>After reading a few articles about both the Arca Swiss Z1 and the Markins M20, I am at a loss to know which one to go for. The Markins seems superior in many people's eyes and the Arca is the head of choice for others. Due to difficulty of supply here in the UK it is not easy to get my hands on these heads to compare before purchase and so I am relying heavily on the help others give on here. I realise this is difficult as much must come down to personal preference.</p>

<p>Having considered it all there seems to be a similar issue with both heads in that they have some imperfection in the panning adjustment knob or lever. In the Markins, it seems that it is difficult to lock the panning action. In the Z1, the lever might be difficult to operate with some tripod configurations not using a centre column.</p>

<p>Similarly I would be very glad to hear of Z1 users who can say whether or not the low - based panning lever on this head is a problem for tightening the panning.</p>

<p>I have to be honest and say that I have never used a head with a panning mechanism before but I would have thought it was quite important that the head should lock tight in all directions and not budge at all. The idea of the "sweet spot" in the Markins seems to challenge this and the lack of concern people have for the inabillity of the panning control to lock tight confuses me. Do these apparent flaws in both heads matter here or not?</p>

<p>I am a novice at this sort of thing and have only really started to think seriously about the support I give my camera. I admit it! I am confused.!Can someone help here?</p>

<p>Thanks<br /> William<br>

PS Sorry to go on and on about this</p>