Achtung! Achtung! Minolta CLE Vertical alignment of RF. HOW!?

trex1

<p>Rob, are you sure? Joel Matherson says that while the rear screw is for horizontal alignment the one closer to the front, and harder to access is for close focus. Apparently there is some kind of cog for the vertical adjustment. How do you know for sure?</p>

<p>Sie lasen nicht nah genug.</p>

<p>"If memory serves me, with the plastic plug removed, the easier slotted screw to get to is for infinity horizontal rf alignment. The one that's harder to reach (more forward) is for something else but I'm not sure what it is. Vertical adjustment is by nudging the teeth of the "cogwheel" away or toward you and my also impact the horizontal adjustment to a certain degree similar to the Hexar RF arrangement."</p>

<p>The vertical adjustment is done by nudging the "teeth" of the "cogwheel" either away from you or towards you assuming you're positioned with the front of the camera pointed away from you. You actually nudge the movevment by resting the flat blade of your screwdriver part way inside the notched ring next to the "cogwheel" and the other part in the "valley" between two "teeth" of the "cogwheel" and twisting the blade either clockwise or counterclockwise. The idea is to simply cause slight rotation of the "cogwheel". Once the vertical is adjusted, you'll will need to turn the slotted screw to the right to reset the correct horizontal adjustment for proper focus accuracy of the rangefinder. </p>

<p>The "cogwheel" is almost directly under the roung plastic plug on the top cover of the camera. You''ll need to remove it to get access, typically with a thin blade to get under the lip of the plug so you can pop it out. A small narrow beam light may help you see it better. The "cogwheel" is actually a serrated ring (looks like a small gear from the top) that holds a prism in place. When rotated, it moves the rf image both vertically and horizontally at the same time.</p>

<p>Hi Alan, Joel, I just got done with the job, I decided to brave it and take my chances, and now I am reading your messages. I have practically lost my eyesight testing the rangefinder...(doh!) Anyway I used Justin's page to take the top off, and then spent a lot of time loosening up the wax on top of the cog. Once I had loosened it up, it was just a matter of using needle nose pliers to turn the wheel back and forth to get the vertical right, and then out into the freezing 3am weather to get a beam on a star for infinity. And the same process about three times to get both right, because as has been said, once you line up the vertical, you then need to readjust the horizontal.</p>

<p>My question is, what about the second screw? I may have turned that inadvertantly a few days ago, while messing around with the two screws under the cover. Can you guys tell me anything about that one?</p>

<p>Also, a neat trick, which the guy in the store where I bought the camera showed me, was just put some tape on the top of the plug, and it peels right out! </p>

<p>Joel, I'll email you another address.</p>

<p>There are a total of three screws and the only one I know for sure is the screw to the right of the serrated wheel that controls horizontal focus. The one that's more forward to this one might be a locking screw to keep the horizontal screw from moving but I'm not 100% sure. The other smaller screw I don't really know.</p>

<p>Joel, why not post the diagram right here so that others (like me) may be enlightened as well? :-)<br>

I do appreciate the information presented, as at some point I may need to tweak one or both of my CLEs. The more specific and detailed the instructions, the better.</p>