Descanso Gardens - Los Angeles, California area

bill_taylor2

<p>Any large format shooters interested in a shoot at the Descanso Gardens in late March? I just called them, the woman said the tulips are coming in and the lilacs will be in bloom. The recent rains have encouraged some nice growth.</p>

<p>Lots of really nice plants there all year long, but spring is a good time to catch the newly budding blooms. If enough people commit to coming, we can even get a discount at the door.</p>

<p>On the downside, they are not thrilled to see lots of equipment. Point and shoot is OK. But lots of large bags, reflectors, lights, tripods, etc. would cause them some heartburn, since they will be open to regular visitors during the day. Knowing who (likely) would be coming and what to expect would tend to minimize the shock.</p>

<p>So, who is interested? I was thinking late March, say March 21, first day of spring. Plenty of warning, and if we do get rain it should be warm.</p>

<p>I was there last year for a movie shoot around that time. I've wanted to go back as there were some interesting subjects and I didn't get to see that much of the grounds. I'd be interested but I don't have a point and shoot LF camera. A tripod would be required. If they allowed my backpack and tripod?</p>

<p>Vinny, my mentioning "Point and Shoot" was more ironic than serious in our case. I have nothing against pocket digitals exactly, but they aren't really comparable to field cameras.</p>

<p>If they have a prejudice against LF, maybe something can be done to dispel it. I might be able to get by there next week. If I bring my typical traveling rig, (large backpack, small film bag, tripod) maybe they'll back down a bit.</p>

<p>By the way, I got one hit from someone in Nature. He suggested Mar 14, since he's off to Indonesia by Mar 21. </p>

<p>And again By The Way, is there a better way to promote an event on Photo.net? This is one of the few forums that allows it. The 35mm and MF seem quite militant against non-equipment questions.</p>