Descanso Gardens - Los Angeles, California area

bill_taylor2

<p>Any Photo.net shooters interested in a shoot at the Descanso Gardens in late March? I just called them, the woman said the tulips are coming in and the lilacs will be in bloom. The recent rains have encouraged some nice growth.<br /> <br /> Lots of really nice plants there all year long, but spring is a good time to catch the newly budding blooms. If enough people commit to coming, we can even get a discount at the door.<br /> <br /> On the downside, they are not thrilled to see lots of equipment. Point and shoot is OK. But lots of large bags, reflectors, lights, tripods, etc. would cause them some heartburn, since they will be open to regular visitors during the day. Knowing who (likely) would be coming and what to expect would tend to minimize the shock. Personally I want to shoot large format, which means a tripod at least. More discussion will be needed.<br /> <br /> So, who is interested? I was thinking late March, say March 21, first day of spring. Plenty of warning, and if we do get rain it should be warm.<br /> <br /></p>

<p>Every time I have been there lots of folks with tripods. Reflectors and such are gently discouraged but we did a class there with no hassles for the "photographers" as such. I would love to come but the 21st is too late, going diving to Indonesia on the 20th. The 14th would work.<br>

B</p>

<p>Interesting. Maybe I just got the wrong person on the phone. I might be able to do a personal stop next week. Face to face might make it seem more serious to them.<br>

I only picked Mar 21 for symbolic reasons. I guess tht is something else to ask about. Better or worse days. to be there.</p>

<p>Bill, if you live in the LA area, you might think about getting a membership to Descanso Gardens. You can get into the gardens at 8:00 AM on the weekends, an hour before the general public. Your membership also gets you access to lots of other gardens in LA for free.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>We did a group trip and most had tripods. No problems. Happened to be April 1st and pretty much height of the tulip bloom. They do have some requirements for commercial photography so reflectors and the like may draw some interest. An early start is often better on weekends as it crowds up quickly. We lucked into a rainy morning and the rain stopped essentially at 9:00 AM leaving the rich colors, soft light, rain drops on the flowers and smaller crowds. I placed a gallery on pbase and a member of the Descanso.org pr department left a nice comment at the gallery, perhaps scanning gallery listings or Googling to see what comes up</p>