Newbie question

nang

I just got a nice Minolta Autocord from eBay, and it should be coming

in the mail pretty soon. I know it's one of the later models (an

Autocord I), but I think all the models are fully mechanical.

This is my first TLR, my first medium format camera ever. Although

I've been reading a lot, I feel like I don't know much about the

cameras. They all seem to involve manually cocking the shutter (?) I

don't even know what this is. They're all manual film advance, also.

Could someone please explain to me what the basic process of taking a

picture with an old TLR or, specifically, an Autocord? How is

loading 120 film different from loading 35mm film? Do I have to

manually advance the film as soon as I load it? How many frames do I

advance it?

It doesn't come with a manual, so I'll be relying on the help I get

from you guys and whatever I can figure out for myself!

Thanks!

P.S. Please ignore multiple postings of this message (if there are

any), my browser is acting up.

<i>They all seem to involve manually cocking the shutter</i>

<p>

The shutter is spring loaded. When you trip the shutter, you release the spring. But to fire the shutter again, you have to reset the spring so that it can release the shutter (AIUI: I've never actually disassembled a shutter!) There is probably a little lever near the aperture ring you use for this.

<p>

Loading 120 film is very different from 35 mm. There are no sprocket holes, and there is no rewind: once you're done, you keep advancing the film until it is all rolled up onto the takeup spool. You take this out and give it to a lab or develop yourself. If your camera doesn't come with an empty spool, go to a lab and ask for one: they ought to have tons lying around, and you will need one. The spool that the film came with is now empty and has to be taken out and put in the takeup position before you can load another spool. If your camera has a red window on the back, keep advancing the film until the '1' printed on the paper backing shows up in it. If it doesn't, there will be a little mark in the camera near the first spool (where you load the film): keep advancing the film until the big arrow on the paper backing lines up with the mark. Close the back, advance until the counter reads '1', and you're ready to go. Buy a roll of the cheapest 120 film you can find, and practice loading with that: consider it the price of tuition.

<p>

Art is right: GET A MANUAL. And enjoy!

Nick,

The Autocord (any TLR, or strange camera) will seem like a mystery at first but after you get it in you'll find it's easy to use. A (very) quick Autocord lesson:

-The film loads top to bottom, after removing the empty film spool from the top, and placing in the take-up position. Thread the leader in, and advance until the arrow aligns with the "Start" marker on the film backing.

-Shutter speed and f-stop controls are located on either side of the taking (bottom) lens, with the info stacked inside of a window on the top of the taking lens. Standard TLR stuff. The shutter button is located on the lower right hand side of the lens board. The film crank advances the film until "1" shows in the film counter (near the crank) and also cocks the shutter.

-The Autocord (6x6) will give 12 exposures per roll of 120 film. Your Autocord I may have a 220 film counter, and adjustable pressure plate.

There are several online sources for manuals, and you need one. I shop here a lot:

http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/catalog/menu.htm

Go to "Minolta" Then "Minolta TLR." Any Autocord manual (CdS-III, Autocord LMX...) will work, as all controls and important features are the same.

Happy shooting.

This is like dancing about architecture. It's awfully silly to post such specific questions without having the camera in front of you. Why don't you wait until the camera arrives, play with it, and then post the questions you still have?

<p>Try the following link for some user information on the Minolta Autocord L, which you should be able to apply to your new camera:

<p>http://www.mediajoy.com/en/cla_came/minolta/index.html

<p>Once you have the Autocord in front of you and a roll of test film on hand, keep clicking "next" at the bottom right of each page to go through instructions on loading and using the camera.

I always thought the "Auto" in Autocord meant that the shuter was cocked automatically when the film was winded. I have a pre-Autocord Minoltacord which indeed has separate shutter cocking. Are you sure you haven't bought one of those rare cameras?

Loading 120 film is pretty easy and to my knowledge is pretty much the same in most if not all TLR's. Remove the little paper strip from the roll and load it into the top of the Autocord, making sure that the free end of the film is on top of the roll facing down towards the bottom of the camera. Place an empty spool in the bottom of the Autocord and thread the end of the free end of the film (should be just paper backing) into the spool. There should be two dots or similar markings about halfway down the back of the camera on the edge of the film path. Crank the advance until the two arrows on the film line up with the markings in the camera. Then close the camera and advance the film until it stops. Nothing to rewind on 120/220 film as it goes from one spool to another.