is Eos 3 semi-pro or pro?

jr stevens

<p>I am interested in buying either a canon eos 1n or eos 3 but when i review various articles some rate the eos 3 as semi-pro while others say it is a pro model..? which is it? when I look at all the features it has it seems to have more modern features than the eos 1n with the same weather sealing but yet it is referred to as a semi-pro model...? </p>

<p>The 3 is much sought after and therefore a little pricier than some more-or-less contemporary EOS film cameras. A look at the <a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/index.html">Canon Museum</a> will reveal some alternatives. However, I wouldn't worry about the "semi-pro" or "pro" categorization. It has the capabilities and it's the way you use it that makes it a "pro" camera. The 1 series might be more rugged, but also cost more, so it partly depends on whether you're taking it up the Eiger north face or just shooting on the streets, I suppose. Canon claims great ruggedness for the camera (<a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1996-2000/1998_eos-3.html?lang=us&categ=srs&page=eos">link</a> )</p>

<p>A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.</p>

<p>There's no strict definition of a "pro" camera. Normally any "EOS-1x" is classified by Canon as a "pro" model (EOS-1, 1v, 1D, 1Ds etc.). In their professional program, the EOS 3 and the EOS 5D are normally treated the same as the 1 series as far as repairs, support etc. go.</p>

<p>"Pro" has nothing to do with how good your pictures are. "Pro" cameras have more rugged construction (and are heavier because of it) and faster frame rates (up to 8 shots per second) than "semi-pro" cameras, which usually have the same feaatures aside from those and cost a lot less.</p>

<p>The EOS 3 has eye control focus, 45 AF points, and a 96% viewfinder.</p>

<p>Those are the only glaring differences between the 3 and the 1N. Back in 2000, I bought an EOS 1N after handling both it and the EOS 3 at the B&H sales counter. I liked the idea of the 100% viewfinder better, though that turned out to be not such a big deal. The ECF did not interest me, nor did the 45 AF points. The 1N felt sturdier and more robust in my hand. I still have my 1N and it still works great. Its been bumped and jostled on the streets of Baltimore and subways of New York City, and has even taken the brunt of a rogue wave over the bow of a Chesapeake Bay fishing boat en route back from a day trip to Smith Island. It still works as good as when it was brand new. My 1N has really become sort of a member of the family.</p>

<p>With my 1N I completed my photography classes, and got my first national photo publishing credit. I can't seem to part with it depite the fact that I am shooting 100% digital now. I've had numerous publishing and exhibition successes with my digital cameras, but somehow it just isn't the same. Maybe the film-based process was more organic, or maybe it was just that I got my first "big break" with the 1N, but to me its more than a camera, whereas all the others I have, film and digital, are just pieces of photographic equipment.</p>

<p>Michael J Hoffman</p>

<p>I own and still use a Canon EOS 3 camera: it's a wonderful piece of equipment. It's a high precision instrument with all the "pro" features required by a skilled photographer. It differs from digital SRL cameras because it records the image on a film medium, not a sensor, but it gives you all the controls you may find on a modern DSRL... If you want some examples, look at my portfolio: the 95% of the shots was taken with EOS 3.<br>

Alberto.</p>

<p>Does it really bother you that much? Would you buy the 3 if it is classed as 'pro' but not buy it if it were classed as 'semi pro'?</p>

<p>A camera either suits you, or it does not. Who cares a fig what the marketing boys & girls say? Who cares what pigeon hole they put a camera in?</p>

<p>It only seems to be amateurs who concern themselves with these types of one-up-man-ship....</p>

<p>I always considered it semi-pro. Just as the 5D is considered semi-pro now, if looking at the Canon line with classifications in mind. As others have noted, that doesn't stop people from using the EOS 3 and 5D for professional jobs. But then, the Elan, Rebel, 20/30/40/50D and D Rebel are used for professional jobs too.</p>

<p>A lot of pros bought and used the EOS-3, no matter how it might have been categorized.</p>

<p>It shares the Power Booster (PB-E2) with the 1-series cameras. In the EOS-3 you can get 6 or 7 fps with it, in the 1V HS you can get 9 or 10. So, how often do you want to change 36 exposure rolls of film? Ever 5 or 6 seconds or every 3 or 4 seconds! ;-)</p>

<p>The EOS-3 and the Elan 7/7N, EOS-30/33/N were the only models to get Eye Control Focus, which never worked well for me, but some people love it.</p>

<p>The EOS-3 introduced the new 45 point AF system, which was an improvement over the 1N's at the time, and that eventually found it's way into the 1V and from there into all the 1D series, including the ones on the market today. No doubt there have been some tweaks to the system since the EOS-3 was first offered, but it's still a top notch AF system. Considering the 1D MkIII AF debacle, I'll leave it up to you to decide if this is a plus or a minus. ;-) (In truth, the 45 point system works well on all the other cameras and has been fixed, supposedly, on the 1D MkIII, whether it was real or imagined to begin with.)</p>

<p>EOS-3 also have a feature I really liked a lot... You can reduce the number of AF points to 11 (or is it 13?) and link spot metering to the active AF point. As far as I know, only the 1 Series cameras can do that today.</p>

<p>So in a sense, with EOS-3 you get the AF and metering features of the "pro" cameras, just not quite as high build quality and sealing and not as high a price.</p>

<p>EOS-3 has around 20 custom functions, I think the 1V has about 40 or so, but I don't know all the differences.</p>

<p>By the way, the AF system on the Elan 7/7N, EOS-30/33/N is quite similar to the 9 point used on many of the digital cameras today, including the 20/30/40/50D and 5D/5D MkII.</p>

<p>Incidentally, the Elan 7/7N, EOS-30/33/N were designed and built to be quiet... Very quiet compared to most SLRs. (EOS-3 does have a "quiet mode" in the custom functions, but what it does is slow down film rewind at the end of the roll, so that's the only time the camera actually operates more quietly).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>After reading the earlier posts, I --perhaps like some others here-- went to eBay and looked around. A nice EOS 3 was being bid for at scandalously low levels so I watched it. It stayed low until near the end, and finally went for a more respectable price, though rather lower than I was bidding (and losing) a couple of years ago.</p>

<p>I picked up an EOS-3 in pristine condition (with original box and accessories, as well as a quick-release plate) for just over $200. The body appears to be unused, and works flawlessly. My EOS-1V is in virtually as good condition, but cost me four times as much. Both are a complete joy to use, and are the closest bodies to my beloved T90 that I've found.</p>

<p>For my purposes, the only difference between the "pro" designation of the 1V and the "semi-pro" designation of the 3 is the price (though there is something satisfying about the extra heft of the 1V). </p>

<p>And for those who gripe about the 3's eye control focus feature (me not being among them), I have only one thing to say: shut it off!</p>

<p>The EOS 3 is a great camera and (in my opinion) better than the 1N (which has only 5 AF points). It may not be quite as good as the 1V but the differences are small. I say this from experience as i have a 1NRS (pellicle mirror) a 1V a 1VHS and a 3. The 3 also has eye focus which I quite like (but I don't wear glasses). It is a great buy used at $200 - $300 and is better built than my new 5DII which has a cheaper AF, no viewfinder blind and no mulitspot metering! I would buy a 3 over the 1N for almost all uses.</p>

<p>Fundamental difference is that the EOS 3 supports Ettl and was designed for the 550ex speedlights.<br>

This is a significant step up from Attl of the 1N.</p>

<p>I have both the EOS3 and an EOS 1NRS - If I were allowed only one camera it would be the EOS1NRS, because of the pelicle mirror which is my specific need. However for someone asking the question you have, I can say without hesitation:<br>

You should get the EOS3 its a considerably better camera, and the build quality is similar to the EOS 1N.<br>

The frame rate is higher, it has more options for customisation, and the autofocus is simply brilliant. with the PBE2 its in a league of its own.</p>

<p>One proviso is that if you are getting a film camera I would strongly suggest that you consider the 1V if the eye controlled focusing is not important to you.</p>

<p>G</p>